Ways of learning

Started by
25 comments, last by Ralphzehunter 19 years, 6 months ago
Hey Charli, why don't you try to make a simple game where you have to make a guy and move around? Just use @ or some other character for the guy. If you have trouble making this, I could give you some code for it and explain how exactly you would make this.
Advertisement
The other posters have good advice. You need to learn by doing. Set a simple goal for yourself. Make a console-based program with a text user interface. Then make a graphical program and make tetris or something.

Try writing code and learn just what you need to achieve those goals. Actually creating something is 100 times more educational than just reading about it.

After you've done some coding, you might find that your program get too long and complicated, and you can read some more on how to structure programs. Then go out and practice it.

For me, it has generally been a read, code a whole bunch, understand, read some more advanced or different concepts, code a whole bunch more, etc.

It's a bit like learning to play an instrument: you need to practice.
Don't give up yet. I was in a similar position when I first started programming. I took one programming class in high school and FAILED (36% I think :). Yes, my teacher wasn't very good but I had no confidence and all I did was copy my classmates work. I then mucked my way through a first-year uni. java course. That christmas vacation I bought "++: How to program". It took me 2 weeks to read the first 5 chapters, but I promised myself to TRY every single programming exercise in the book (about 300+ I think). This was tough and very frustrating but I stuck it out. At the end of this, my best program was a simple text-based tick-tac-toe game, but I was damn proud of it! I learned that the only way to learn is by doing. The biggest thing you gain from doing something yourself is confidence. Now I'm in my final year of uni. in computer engineering and find myself programming everyday (by choice). It's never too late to learn, don't give up. That fact that you have attempted to read books/tutorials shows me you want to learn. I just think you have been approaching it wrong so far. Good luck.
Quote:Original post by Ralphzehunter
Hey Charli, why don't you try to make a simple game where you have to make a guy and move around? Just use @ or some other character for the guy. If you have trouble making this, I could give you some code for it and explain how exactly you would make this.

Ooo, I can do that, I can do that! (Well, with @ as the little man), it only took me a few hours too!

Thanks for all the advice folks :) I'm sticking to two languages I think, everyone says C++ is good for having to learn very strict stuff, but PHP gives nice fast results ;) Cheers all :)

Edit: I you have any ideas for harder-than-a-calcius-converter-but-easier-than-text-adventure-project, please post :)
I am a spoon!Spr0w!
Quote:
The furthest I ever got in anything was a text adventure in C++, although, as far as I got was reading stuff in from a file, but I couldn't then work out how to organize it into room objects or how to store if properly in a searchable manner.

You need to design how you're going to do it *on paper* (or otherwise outside the code) first and then implement it in your code. This way, you can try loads of different ideas.

Do you know about objects, etc? Also, you may wish to learn more about the Standard Template Library for ways of storing data.
"Learn as though you would never be able to master it,
hold it as though you would be in fear of losing it" - Confucius
Try photo reading.
Quote:Original post by Charli
Quote:Original post by Ralphzehunter

Ooo, I can do that, I can do that! (Well, with @ as the little man), it only took me a few hours too!

Thanks for all the advice folks :) I'm sticking to two languages I think, everyone says C++ is good for having to learn very strict stuff, but PHP gives nice fast results ;) Cheers all :)

Edit: I you have any ideas for harder-than-a-calcius-converter-but-easier-than-text-adventure-project, please post :)

lol my very first game was a game like that, it was sortof like mario, but all you had to do was jump and collect about 5 coins and then you win. Do you think you could do a game like that?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement