Loading textures from disk

Started by
7 comments, last by DJSnow 19 years, 5 months ago
What do you guys use to load texture data from disk? There' SDL_image, but I'm looking for something that's not GPL, free would be nice, but LGPL is OK too. Anything like that outthere?
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Advertisement
Do you want to be able to load a specific image format or do you want to be able to handle a whole load of formats?
Disclaimer: "I am in no way qualified to present advice on any topic concerning anything and can not be held responsible for any damages that my advice may incurr (due to neither my negligence nor yours)"
How about writing your own? If you want to load tga's, nehe's site has some code. Also, a complete tga loader (free), is here. (I use that)

EDIT: added link to nehe
It occured to me that my question was rather silly.. if you were going for a specific format you could have easily done it yourself.

Take a look at these.. I'll post some more if some occur to me.

NexGenIPL supports most popular formats. Major drawback is that it's apparently only Windows. it's free though for any usage.. apparently without a license agreement of any sort.

DevIL LGPL, cross platform, most popular formats.. probably the way to go. It flows well with GL code.

ImageMagick GPL-ish license. Cross platform (and language, I believe). May be a bit more power than is needed, though.
Disclaimer: "I am in no way qualified to present advice on any topic concerning anything and can not be held responsible for any damages that my advice may incurr (due to neither my negligence nor yours)"
Corona is a C++ library, uses the zlib/libpng License.

Supports quite a few file formats, currently short dds however (I'll probably add that myself at some point, once i need it, and submit the patch back like I did with the jpg saver).

I'd grab it from the CVS tree however, the last update to the packages is last year and as I indicated above, I submitted a jpg saver which was checked in.
A lot of image types have free non-GPL versions out there. libjpeg and libpng come to mind as ones used in both Linux and Windows applications.
Eh, why not GPL? As long as you are using a DLL for it and they can change the DLL, it meets SDL's license and I'm pretty sure SDL_image's license. Do-it-yourself loading is what I have to do for some things and it works too.
Quote:Original post by Puzzler183
Eh, why not GPL? As long as you are using a DLL for it and they can change the DLL, it meets SDL's license and I'm pretty sure SDL_image's license. Do-it-yourself loading is what I have to do for some things and it works too.

That meets the LGPL requirements, and DevIL looks good, I'd heard of it before but had forgotten about it, thanks!
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
hi magmai,

in our engine we have a "compiler" (or call it what you want), which loads all textures and then it does simple compiling of all the stuff into one big special file - and yes: this compiler is based on DevIL, for convenience.
but i have to note this each time, when somebody is talking about DevIL: DevIL does not load all images, but most - i'm not talking about special file formats (like CMYK JPG's), but about - for example - about the original Quake3 media: DevIL has some problems here, and it can't handle all files...
(i have told the author about the problem, but he simply ignored my request)

i you want a full featured image library, which can handle really all (!) file formats out there, head for "Leadtools image library", but it's commercial. (license is around 800EUR, IIRC?)

DJSnow---this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement