[java] Java Development Environment for Fedora 2

Started by
4 comments, last by Strife 19 years, 6 months ago
I thought I'd try to get a java development environment for Fedora 2, but I am a little overwhelmed by the number of choices. Sun or IBM are obvious choices. I used kaffe in CS classes in college. I've also heard good things about JRocket (ie it's really fast). I'm not real concerned about blazing fast performance (I don't plan on any java game programming at this point). I just want something that works well. I don't really need a fancy IDE, either. What do you recommend?
Advertisement
IBM == consistently fastest

Sun == what most of the world uses, because it's the standard.

What you use == irrelevant, as most of your end-users will be using Sun.

=> Use Sun, since that way you have the same bugs as your users.

As for IDE, *always* use Eclipse, or something better (IDEA, for instance). But Eclipse is fast becoming the standard (recent polls I've participated in showed massive migrations from Netbeans etc towards Eclipse, with Eclipse now the most popular free IDE, and even making significant inroads into the commercial ones. There's good reason for that - eclipse sucks in many ways, but it's incredibly good in many others, much much better than anythign els eyou're probably used to).

Don't touch JRocket (sp?) etc with a barge-pole unless you really know what you're doing. Fun, interesting, but practical usefulness is limited for mainstream development...
PS Kaffe sucks :P. Get used to Sun's JVMs - for a "free, reference implementation" they are incredibly good. At least as good as what you'd expect if you were paying large amounts of money for them.

redmilamber
Ok, Sun sounds like a good option. Just out of curiousity, out of the open-source environments, what would you recommend?
Quote:Original post by Mr Grinch
Ok, Sun sounds like a good option. Just out of curiousity, out of the open-source environments, what would you recommend?
It was said already, and it will be said again, there is only one you should concern yourself with, and that is:
ECLIPSE(linkah)

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Eclipse, hands down.

Granted, it does take a little while to get used to it (it has some quirks), but once you do, you'll be extremely productive.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement