Have you had any great ideas for a game that were later used?

Started by
17 comments, last by Dunam 19 years, 5 months ago
I thought of an idea for a game that would... never be released. Lo' and behold, Duke Nukem Forever. ;)
Advertisement
I thought of having a game where you played a bad guy/criminal before GTA1 came out (probably alone with thousands of other people lol).
Quote:Original post by BosskIn Soviet Russia, you STFU WITH THOSE LAME JOKES!
I used to invent sequels to RPG's all the time when I was younger. I came up with some weird ideas for what FF3 would be like (it had mermaids and sunken continents and parts where you go into the past), and then the real FF3 (US) came out long before I was done so I gave up. (Some elements were similar to what ended up being in Chrono Trigger though. Time travel and branching plot stuff.) Oh yeah, I also "invented" Mario 3 which was sort of like a combo of Mario 2 and Wizards & Warriors, heh. Don't remember whether the real Wizards & Warriors was made yet then or not though.
If a squirrel is chasing you, drop your nuts and run.
I've seen good ideas I had implemented in the worst possible way in games... hehe. Ya gotta love it when people take something that you give them and they read what they want to into the name and completely demolish the actual concept in implementation.
I had an idea about time slowing down. I had thought of it along the lines of beat'em up games, instead of just hitting the buttons I thought it would be good to make the fight in slowmotion, that way you could really kind of "plan" your next punch or something, it would give you time to actually respond to the computer player. I thought of this so you could really learn how to make the moves, like mutiple moves etc.
Has this been done yet in a beat em up game?
Matrix Kombat? Now that'd be an interesting combo. :P
If a squirrel is chasing you, drop your nuts and run.
Quote:Original post by Garmichael
Quote:Original post by PaulCesar
On a little more realistic side. Ideas are a dime a dozen. Chances are if you have thought something up, someone else has already thought it up. Its when someone chooses to invest in the idea that the fruit of the idea shows through.

WHAT?! THAT CONCEPT IS COMPLETELY BEYOND ME. I WISH I COULD UNDERSTAND SOMETHING SO COMPLEX AS THAT ON MY OWN WITHOUT SOMEONE HAVING TO TELL ME. WOW.

Thanks for the philisophical contribution, but if you take a minute to stop being a condesending prick, im sure theres some idea you've had that you thought was unique and LATER was implemented in a game that you would like to share.

oh, agian, thanks for stroke of genius it took you to write out the overwhelmingly complex idea of "Sometimes, two people come up with the same idea". WOAH. Im glad you mentioned it, because it wasnt implied that I realised this when I wrote "Have you ever had an idea, and someone else used that idea in a game?"

lol.
Quote:Original post by Stevieboy
I had an idea about time slowing down. I had thought of it along the lines of beat'em up games, instead of just hitting the buttons I thought it would be good to make the fight in slowmotion, that way you could really kind of "plan" your next punch or something, it would give you time to actually respond to the computer player. I thought of this so you could really learn how to make the moves, like mutiple moves etc.
Has this been done yet in a beat em up game?

That's a pretty hot idea. Like onyx said "Matrix Kombat".
The concept sounds pretty fun. The only thing is pretty much teh issue of "What ELSE can be added to make the fight seem more realistic".

I mean, if the enemy is comming in for a punch, you should be given options to duck down, block the punch, pull back, punch first, grab his arm, etc etc... There would have to be tons of things you could do, and It would have to be controlled with the character.

Also, it coudlnt be TOO slow. Not matrix stop speed. More like a punch takes 2 seconds to reach you, instead of half a second. Otherwise, IT'd just be a big game of dodge the fist.

But yeah. hot idea.
Im losing the popularity contest. $rating --;
How about both players being able to use 'stop speed' in a fighter? With double slow down if both are using it?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement