wow.... doom3 engine sdk... *drools*

Started by
18 comments, last by Armand 19 years, 6 months ago
hmm It doenst seem to be written bye John Carmack...
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
Advertisement
It's the game code not the engine code, so not all of it is written by John. But still, why do you say this?
This stuff is simply great! :D
Quote:Original post by DAN200
It's the game code not the engine code, so not all of it is written by John. But still, why do you say this?

Look at this then look at quake 1-2 source code.
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
Quote:Original post by Ainokea

THe Quake 1 & 2 sources are for the entire game - including, particularly, the renderer.

The renderer was what Carmack was concerned with on Doom 3 - id has other programmers (like Robert Duffy) to work on the game code.

I haven't checked, but I assume the odds of this package containing the source to the renderer are zero.
Well, I was just happy the renderer header files were there because it really can give you a good idea on how you could implement your own. I think that a lot of inexperienced programmers have a harder time understanding how things should fit together then really any graphics algorythm.

The people at id software are really cool to release that much of the code and this quickly after it's release. However, I would have to say it is going to benefit them more then anything because it will give the game a lot longer of a life (half-life in example) and probably promote more developers to use the engine.

I hope this promotes other companies to release there own sdks (think about a halflife 2 sdk with that much code!).

Well, Im going to stop being a necro macner with this thread now. Im glad that I could give you all a heads up ;)

~Jason
www.jinx.com www.thebroken.org www.suprnova.org www.mozilla.org

You mean how this is all written in Object Oriented C++ and the older games were straight C with assembly? Well, john said this time that he would move to C++, and being the smart guy that he is, has adapted his coding style accordingly.

I bet the base rendering code is still low level as hell though.

You mean how this is all written in Object Oriented C++ and the older games were straight C with assembly? Well, john said this time that he would move to C++, and being the smart guy that he is, has adapted his coding style accordingly.

I bet the base rendering code is still low level as hell though.

from what was said when the linux release was made, it appears everything has a c version, and several places [enough that a single person couldn't port them all in a short period] have inline assembly versions [which used the msvc __asm__ syntax, which gcc doesn't support. Also, it was compiled with essentially gcc -o2...]

however, I seem to be unable to find the link at the moment, so as plausable as it sounds [well, why doesn't gcc support the __asm__ syntax?] I can't be too sure if it true until I find the link
hmm It doenst seem to be written bye John Carmack...

Much of it is. At a glance I saw some old things in there, and some things I would have done differently. Nice to look at and get ideas from.
No no no no! :)
Yes, there is some of the old designs in there. (The way the consol works, One exposed function from the dlls to feed all the interfaces through)

But there is also some nice OOP and template things happening in there. It's also good to see where they have broken Game from engine.

I love reading over old source code, to get new ideas, and incorperating it into my own work. Theres some stuff in here I'm going to try in my next project (the parser most notably).

My question is, Is anybody here going to try and write a mod for it using this SDK?.
Armand -------------------------It is a good day to code.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement