• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
NiteLordz

Octree, Quadtree or BSP

This topic is 5045 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I think the subject line says it all, but in case not. i have been developing a BSP/PVS engine for the past fwe months, i got it running nicely, collision detection, lightmap via radiosity ( not real time of course ), character animation, etc... Well my ? is that i have been hearing from a few sources to abandon the BSP style, and move on to a different style of engine. any one have any thoughts on this topic. i have found a few topics already on this, but i was hoping to revive the discussion and maybe start a good debate on the topic. thanks

Advertisement
Honestly the people advanced enough may not have much time on their hands at present (since school/uni have started) to blink let alone discuss.

Good Luck with your engine.Post a link to it will ya.

Quote:
Honestly the people advanced enough may not have much time on their hands at present (since school/uni have started) to blink let alone discuss.

Well I've got a couple of minutes :-) Not that I'm necessarily 'advanced enough', but I do have a couple of thoughts.

This is a lame answer, but it kind of depends on what you're trying to do. The fact is that the BSP approach is very well suited to densely occluded, relatively low-poly environments such as your basic Q3 level or a level from any of the countless games based on the Q2 or Q3 engine. It provides straightforwad visibility and collision detection, and is very useful.

Octrees are more generic, but they also make the visibility problem more generic, which makes it harder to solve. At that point you get into occlusion culling, which is difficult and has a lot of potential pitfalls.

This problem is certainly of interest to me as I'm making a game with fairly arbitrary geometry that doesn't lend itself to a BSP.

Finally, you could scour this site for all the posts on ABTs (adaptive binary trees). I haven't implemented one, but I gather that they are considerably more 'nuanced' than BSPs in the way that the splitting planes are chosen and the volumes are handled. Might be overkill for some applications, but perfect for others.

Two minutes are up! :)

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by jyk
Two minutes are up! :)

See I told you, not enough time to discuss

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!