• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ben_02

Blue screen when compiling C++ project in visual studio

This topic is 5016 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, Occasionally (about once every few days, given I work on my project a few hours a day), when I compile I get a blue screen and the computer crashes. The filename appearing in the blue screen is either dxg.sys or win32k.sys. I'm using Visual C++ .NET 2003 Enterprise Edition, Version 7.1.3088, .NET Framework version 1.1 (1.1.4322) Does anyone know what might be causing this, or have any experience with the problem?

Advertisement
What operating system are you using, WinNT/2K/XP ?

Does a memtest show any errors ?

Is your harddisk alright ?

Guest Anonymous Poster
It sounds like your having problems with some system calls. Your telling the computer to do something its not suppose too, maybe you should post your code we could help more.

Sorry I forgot to mention the OS.

I'm using Windows XP Professional, with a few security updates but not SP1 or SP2.

I can't post any code without posting all of it (about 100kb worth). I have no idea what the offending code is or might be.

My hard disk has never showed any problems whatsoever.

If its a problem with the code making system calls, why does it crash while compiling?

Whats memtest?

http://www.memtest86.com/

In some cases when computers show undefined behavoir, the RAM is defect.

Let the memtest run and check if it is the case. This may result in the errors your described.

But maybe it's just a virus...

I doubt it's a virus. It's been a recurring problem for quite some time now, even between hard disk formats. I use up-to-date virus software and I'm usually very aware when i have a virus.

I've never had any instability problems with games. I play recent and hardware intensive games regularly without any crashing at all. It's ONLY when I compile my project (and sometimes when it runs/closes, but im fixing it one step at a time).

Maybe the Visual C++ executable was damaged/modified in some way (perhaps by a system crash ;)

Maybe the RAM is damaged, and your games do not use this area or use it for graphics, whatever.

Maybe your harddisk already has errors but tries to hide them. A SMART diagnostic utility can show up problems.

http://www.perfectdownloads.com/windows-utilities/file-disk-management/siguardian.htm

Maybe you have curious hardware that has a bugged driver ?
Check if the drivers are certified by microsoft, get newer versions of the drivers.

1) Definately install the service packs! A few issues that are *very* similar to yours have been fixed by them.

2) When you say your hard disk doesn't have any problems, do you mean you just haven't seen any, or have you actually done a proper "Error Checking"/scandisk check of the whole drive? I'd perform a proper full surface scan.

3) If your PC is getting particularly warm and/or you have multiple hard disks close too each other then they could be overheating (the result in Windows is usually a blue screen - it used to happen to a machine of mine). Try taking the side of the case off and maybe adding a hard disk cooler fan.

4) Try installing the latest drivers for everything in your system (including critical BIOS updates, motherboard drivers, and even CPU patches [yes, there is such a thing!]). Where possible, go for WHQL certified drivers.

5) What programs do you have running in the background on your PC when compiling ? (do a CTRL-Alt-Delete and check the processes in the task manager). Additionally are you using anything like Active Desktop, and Clipboard manager tools, etc ?

6) Any overclocking or performance "tweaks" anywhere? - try safe BIOS defaults and undo changes to things like graphic card "coolbits".

7) What version of DirectX do you have installed? Try the latest.

I haven't got anything overclocked right now.

I ran a memory diagnostic utility and found no errors.

I already have the latest video drivers, and i'm installing the latest motherboard drivers now.

I also already have the latest DirectX (9.0c)

I generally have other programs running when I compile, such as winamp, MSN, etc.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!