• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Tom 69

Getting into the Industry

This topic is 5045 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'll go on anyway. I live in Australia, and I need advice advice on which sorts of courses are appropriate for game development. I'm interested in game design, programming, modelling, and level design (and have had some experience in the latter). I am currently enrolled at Adelaide TAFE (Technical and Further Education (similar to University)) and have an interest in the following courses. I've listed the parts of each course that I think might be useful. Cert. 4 in Information Technology (Multimedia) * Audio; animation; video and 3D modelling into multimedia presentations; creating a code for applications; object oriented design; planning interface design. Cert. 4 in Information Technology (Programming) * Algebra for IT; designing a client interface; Java and C++; programming in Visual Basic. Diploma of Information Technology (Software Developement) * Advanced programming in Visual Basic; C++; Java; cost and quality; database programming with SQL; object-oriented analysis. Diploma of iCarnegie Subsidised Study Scheme (Software Development) * Based on courseware from the Carnegie Mellon University; data structures and programming in C++; databases; Java and Visual Basic; object-oriented programming; software engineering methods and software project management; system-level programming; user interface design and evaluation. Cert. 4 in Multimedia * 2D animation and 3D modelling; graphics; sound and video into interactive multimedia products. Advanced Diploma of Multimedia 2D animation; 3D animation; authoring; concept development; design; graphics; project design; sound and video; video compositing. In the eyes of the game industry, which of these courses are going to be most important? Sorry, I know this has been is a pretty long winded post, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Advertisement
The ones that are most important are the ones most closely related to the job you are going to be doing. On commercial projects, people are generally split into 4 areas: programmers, artists, game designers, and management. You should pick one of the four as your long term goal and tailor your education toward that goal.

Two things to note, however.
1. It is extremely useful to have skills in areas other than your main focus.
2. Management people generally start out as programmers and game designers.

Finally, don't pursue an education specifically tailored for making video games. The industry is small and difficult to get into, and a year or two from now you might want to do something different. If you can't or don't want to make games professionally and all you know how to do is make video games, then you will be stuck.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I think the most useful asset for yourself would to produce a polished demo or be part of a successful project. Degrees and certifications are nice, but companies want to know that you can use those skills to actually produce something.

Thanks for the help so far.

I think I'll focus on programming and do Certificate 4 in Programming and then probably the iCarnegie Course.

Once I have those two under my belt I could start applying for game focused courses in game programming, 3D modelling, level design and general game design (either that or start hitting the books).

When I have the skills, I'll start putting them to use and create something impressive.

And in the meantime I could work in general IT.

I may be getting ahead of myself a little, but I'll see how it goes. I don't think there's anything I'd rather do, and I know I have the motivation and will power to get there.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!