• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Manually texturing a sphere

This topic is 4836 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi. I'm trying to texture a mesh created by the D3DX (DX9)createSphere function and here's my FVF:
#define D3DFVF_CUSTOMVERTEX (D3DFVF_XYZ|D3DFVF_DIFFUSE|D3DFVF_TEX1)
and here's how I cloned my mesh:
	 LPDIRECT3DVERTEXBUFFER9 pTempVertexBuffer;

pTempMesh->CloneMeshFVF( 0, D3DFVF_CUSTOMVERTEX, g_pd3dDevice, &g_pMesh );

if( SUCCEEDED( g_pMesh->GetVertexBuffer( &pTempVertexBuffer ) ) )
    {
        int nNumVerts = g_pMesh->GetNumVertices();
        CUSTOMVERTEX *pVertices = NULL;

pTempVertexBuffer->Lock( 0, 0, (void**)&pVertices, 0 );
        {
            for( int i = 0; i < nNumVerts; i++ )
			{

pVertices[i+0].tu  = ((FLOAT)i)/(nNumVerts-1);
				pVertices[i+0].tv  = 0.0f;
				pVertices[i+1].tu  = ((FLOAT)i)/(nNumVerts-1);
				pVertices[i+1].tv  = 1.0f;

}
			pTempVertexBuffer->Unlock();

pTempVertexBuffer->Release();
		}
	}
Now all I get as output is a wireframe sphere. I think my problem is my algorithm for maping the tex coords to the sphere is all wrong and I would like to know how I should manually calculate texturing a sphere. I have a basic understanding of how to texture a mesh and I know that u and v are between 0 and 1 and I can texture simpler polys, but I don't have a clear idea of how to manually texture a sphere. I mean I think I have to calulate the four points that make a square on the sphere for each vert on the sphere, but I don't know how to put that into an array. I really need a clear explaination of how to manually texture simple meshes like spheres or cubes and an explaination of the logic behind the process. I have tried using a 3d program and I loaded x files before, but I spent so much time trying to learn those programs that I'm not completing any of my projects, so I'd rather get the basics of D3D down before I spend any more time on a 3d program. Anyway, if you or anyone here can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
http://www.mvps.org/directx/articles/spheremap.htm

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement