• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Memory management - virtual function table

This topic is 4836 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im not using 'new' to allocate memory in my app, only casting a chunk of memory from a big pool pre-alocated....it works for classes that do not inherit from another ones... How do i fill the VFT after alocating a "generic" memory to a variable? I read somewhere to do something like cCLASS_A *a = (cCLASS_A*)my_mem_sys.Alocate(sizeof(cCLASS_a)); a = new (cCLASS_A*); //something like this, i really dont know Im trying to do not allocate any memory in conventional way, to avoid fragmentation...and about using the method above to fill the VFT, does it allocate any memory? Thanks

Advertisement
Use placement new:

class C
{
};

void* data = malloc(sizeof C);
C* c = new(data) C(); // run ctor, should fill out VFT as well

It won't allocate any memory from the heap, if that's what you're asking. However, it does call the class's constructor, so if the constructor calls new/malloc()/whatever, then additional memory will be allocated.

Just remember to call the destructor when you're done with it. Using antareus' example, the syntax would look like:
c->~C();

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement