Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carriage return(\n) in CStrings

This topic is 6274 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m using MFC and have a CString attached to an Edit Box. I have set the multiline property to true and would like to show multiple lines of text now. Of course, \n doesn''t work with CStrings like it does in C Strings. I checked all the help files that came with VC++ and couldn''t find the answer. Microsoft bastards. Do I need to make a C String and then transcribe it into a CString to get carriage returns?! I''m sure I''m missing something here. ----------------------------- Let be be finale of seem, seems to me.

try using endl. I dunno if it''ll work with CString & MFC but this is how you use it with regular C++:

cout << "hello" << endl;

==============================
\\// live long and prosper; \||/ die short and rot.
==============================

Guest Anonymous Poster
I''m quite certain that CStrings can hold newlines-- I use them all the time to store blocks of text. In fact, I think CStrings are one of the few things that MFC got right-- they are a pretty efficient construct.

So I bet the problem has to do with the edit control''s handling (mangling) of the string. If you post some code I''ll take a look.

I''m just posting to second Erik''s suggestion. ''\n'' isn''t a universal newline.

Under Windows based systems, a full newline is traditionally ''\r\n''. ''\n'' is, however, a full newline under UNIX (and some other) systems.

Yep! \r\n did the trick. Thanks again everybody! This is a great place to get help for these quirky kind of questions :-)

-----------------------------
Let be be finale of seem, seems to me.