Sign in to follow this  

2D Game Engines

This topic is 4812 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can anyone direct me to a good 2D game engine for windows besides Py-game, SDL, or Action Script? I know they are hard to come by, however I was looking for something more commercial if anyone could help that would be great.

Guest Anonymous Poster
FYI, neither of them are engines of any kind.

"Beginning: Game Programming", by: Michael Morrison. Published by: SAMS. This is a very good book on starting your own 2D graphics engine for Windows. Its also pretty clear cut and low on the verbage and theories. He focuses on just the code you need to build the engine and has the entire code on the CD that comes with the book. It has you coding the engine by Chapter 2.

ISBN: 0-672-32659-0 Price: $34.99US

i have code for the space game thrust(see nehe downloads THRUST, Miikka Laakso wrote the game and should get all the praise) you can do almost anything with it as its well structured and easy to recode your own thing. Uses milkshape models\lighting\culling\blending\hiscore tables\text output+input, I managed to convert a 2d space game into a prince of persia style 2d game, if you want the code let me know, he gave it to me so give the guy loads of credit

I believe Allegro allows commercial use of its' software without having to give the user the source code or modifications.

I'd recommend XConq, it rocks:

XConq

Edited to point out that, as you can tell by the screenname, I'm biased. But the engine is on its 7.5pre release and is fully featured, open-source, Windows/Linux/Mac compatible and incredibly flexible...

New version with a few updates (Or a host of new features, depending on which version you're working with, this is the most feature-rich of the XConq packages):

Windows Installer

Not sure exactly what your looking for but what about Blitzbasic?
http://www.blitzbasic.com/

Sign in to follow this