• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Dark Star

What do people program here......

This topic is 5044 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Yo peeps, just wandering besides games, what do you program when you are not making games or tools for games and when not programming professionally at work? Do you all have personal 'Home' projects and what are they and what langauge(s) do you all use mostly for them? Just trying to get an idea of things people develop out of interest in their own time. (I need some ideas too :P) Thanks DarkStar UK

Advertisement
A module system for running genetic programs. I've also worked on a program which wsa used by people in the Indiana University Physics department to crunch their numbers.

I've also made a few simple apps for myself. One, for example, reads a CD and prints out all of the MP3 ID3 info from them in the order they appear on the CD. This was because I use an MP3 player in my car and it is nice to know which one of the 150 tracks the song I want to listen to is.

Dwiel

I made a program to display all the pictures in a folder in random order at a speed I set and with CD music in the background. I made it to speed up making a slide show presentation I was doing at my church. There are lots of other programs that let you do slide shows, but depending on where the pictures come from I can set up a slide show much more quickly using my program (though of course programming the thing took far longer than making the slide show in PowerPoint could ever take :), but I do these things from time to time and this will speed up future projects -- or at least that's what I keep telling myself :) ). I also made a program to allow me to insert characters without key bindings anywhere quite easily, except that it doesn't work all that well because of some sort of clipboard conflict. I am currently working on a calculator program that includes variables, functions, and can graph. I will probably release the slide show program for free on the net some time, but it needs a little work before it will be ready for public release.

Looks in NClib (a set of activex dll's that i built, have or have gotten of egsamples).

Made by me
1. A couple (5) chatbots
2. RSA module (mine)
3. DHK key Exchange monule
4. Various other math modules
5. Hash table
6. Binary sort
7. Quick sort
8. Asm scripting language
9. Generic Compiler
10. Various Hashes
11. Various encryption algorithms
12. My compresison algo (LZ)

Taken from internet
1. Bits module (stores a huge amount of bools compactly by using individual bits)
2. Md5 Hash
3. Sha256 Hash
4. Another Key exchange module.
5. DES
6. Blowfish

Full programs
1. Slideshow
2. Simple games (tic-tac-toe, pong)
3. Simple ttt ai

... Heaps more, i just don't want to have to search for them...

Good day,
From,
Nice coder.

I usually make scripts to automate things. For example, I have a PHP interface to automatically generate skeletons and make code form XML descriptions of the code. I have several web crawlers I use for various things. I recently wrote a web application to write G-Code to control CNC mills so I can make better parts faster, and be able to change my designs quickly and easily. I at one point wrote a basic RLC circuit analysis program. And of course the good old keypress automation JScripts.

I first learned PERL and i use linux for my primary OS, so i often make little sysadmin programs. I've also made some portfolio-creation and digital photo storage / conversion scripts. But mostly i tinker with my game project.

I have never made a game yet, except for on a TI-89, but that was a port off of a TI-83.

What I've programmed are:
-Opengl Demos (mostly for school projects)
-Serial/Parallel port transciever
-CD Drive Ejector
-Electronics Calculator <-I am working on this now.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!