What do people program here......

Started by
15 comments, last by Tree Penguin 19 years, 6 months ago
Completed:
1. Perl script to brute-force adding classes when I went to college
2. What you'd call "web apps" nowadays (I did the first and second versions of the starcraft.org map database, for example)
3. A little app to play songs straight off my iPod
4. Little app to control Winamp via the keyboard (this was before there was the global hotkeys dialog)

In-progress:
1. An IM client

Focusing on applications rather than games is way more rewarding, because I actually have a snowball's chance in hell of finishing, I don't need tons of assets (sound, art, animation) and I don't have to worry about it becoming boring.
--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis
Advertisement
While almost all of my time is taken by games and professional/academic coding, one thing I have done out of hobby was a distributed quadratic sieve app.
The only non-game code I've written is this. I'm starting to get more interested in developing utilities and other non-game programs though.
Correlation engines for IDS (NIDS and HIDS), reporting tools, web based interfaces for those reporting tools.

security tools for windows and unix, custom applications for windows and unix based on client needs. patches to certain applications to provide client specific functionality.

agents for monitoring and reporting on results from correlation engines.

custom exploits to illustrate flaws in applications provided for security review by clients.

custom network security analysis tools

components of a packet sniffer

various other projects throughout my career prior to focusing on security, including e-commerce engines and components in php and java, databasing tools and custom back-end for industry specific systems, loyalty/rewards tracking system for business

custom point of sales systems, as well as customizations and extending of existing point of sales systems.
Utility classes I think I might need some day.

I wrote a singleton that keep's track of every dynamic allocation in a list when in debug mode, and when the singleton gets released it prints out how many allocations weren't deallocated. I wrote a macro called SafeNew(pointer_var, class_constructor, location_string) which takes a string as 3rd parameter in which you should specify the function where de allocation took place. That's string is what get's printed at the end. In release mode that macro just calls "new" as you would normally do.

The singleton ended up being pretty simple and quite useful.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
The most complicated thing I've written that is not a game is a program that plots graphs of the form f(x,y) = g(x,y). It doesn't work properly unless you get rid of all the division though (i.e y = 1/x doesn't work properly, but x*y = 1 works fine).
- An animating and rendering application.
- A WinSock fileserver and client (just because i cannot setup an ftp server at home i decided to do it myself).
- Small tests like substances, natural effects and software lighting.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement