• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Huge Files on Win95/98/ME

This topic is 4841 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys! I need help! I was wondering if I could work with huge files (more than 2GB) on Win95/98/ME!!! The MSND says I can use lpDistanceToMove and lpDistanceToMoveHigh (setfilepointer function) to form a single 64-bit integer value, and thus, reach more than 4GB. But there's a note on lpDistanceToMoveHigh parameter that says: "Windows Me/98/95: If the pointer lpDistanceToMoveHigh is not NULL, then it must point to either 0, INVALID_SET_FILE_POINTER, or the sign extension of the value of lDistanceToMove. Any other value will be rejected." What that note wanted to say?? That I can't work with HUGE files on WIN95/98/ME? Thank you. Fernando.

Advertisement
I think it means it's must be 0 or 0xFFFFFFFF. This extra word allows you to seek (seek distance is signed) to positions over 2GB. ie: you get one more bit to play with, allowing 4GB files, instead of 2GB... but nothing can exceed 4GB on those systems.

Is this a project you're working on? I'm wondering why you wouldn't just take ANY amount of data that large, especially for a game, and break it into multiple files so you can easily find, edit, modify, and load them into your game engine...instead of having to search thru an uber-honkin wad file?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement