• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Quak

math book advice

This topic is 5077 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys, I've been programming for some months now. I've decided that graphics programming is what I want to do. I've already worked through windows game programming gurus by LaMothé and I'am currently reading his second volume (3D programming gurus) and Mathematics for Gamedevelopers. Now my actual problem is that I'am only 16 and thus haven't heard anything about vectors and stuff befor (I've teached myself the basics though). What I need is a good mathbook that covers basic and advanced linear algebra. Hope you now a good one Quak

Advertisement
"Beginning Math and Physics for game programmers", is a good book for learning the math you will need to do graphics. Half of the book teaches math then the other teaches physics. The math section goes over broad ranges of subjects from points and lines to vector operations and bits of trigonometry. Im only 14 and the math wasn't to hard to learn so i think you will be fine.

Thanks for replay. But I'm searching more for a "true" mathbook that you use in university.

Two linear algebra books I recommend:

"Elementary Linear Algebra" by Anton and Rorres
"Linear Algebra Done Right" by Axler

The first takes a pretty standard approach, starting with vectors and matrices and all that, and then getting to linear spaces and linear transformations. The second starts with linear transformations, and gets to matrices later as a means of implementation.

Anton and Rorres is the longer of the two books, which is both good and bad. Good in that there's a lot of useful information there; bad in that you can get lost in all the detail. Axler is a lot slimmer, and really boils things down to the bare essentials.

"Elementary Linear Algebra" book looks good, I think I'll go for this one. The other books are nice as well, but it seems to be the most detailed one what I think is best for me. Cheers guys :)
Quak

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!