[web] Div not working?

Started by
3 comments, last by GotenRulezU 19 years, 6 months ago
I dont know why but my main div isn't working at all. Here is my source. mycss.css

a.nav{text-decoration:none;}
a.nav:link{color:red;} 
a.nav:visited{color:red;} 
a.nav:hover{color:blue;} 
a.nav strong{color:black;} 
a.nav:hover strong{color:red;}
#menu{
	margin-left: 0px;
	width: 150px;
	height: 100%;
}
#main{
	margin-left: 150px;
	width: 100%;
	height: 100%;
	color: white;
}

Home.html

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

<html>
<head>
	<title></title>
	<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="mycss.css">
</head>

<body bgcolor="black">
<div class="menu">
<table width="150px">
<tr>
<td class="menu" style="text-align: center">
<a class = "nav" href="Home.html"><strong><</strong>Home<strong>></strong></a>
<br>
<a class = "nav" href="Tutorials.html"><strong><</strong>Tutorials</strong><strong>></strong></a>
<br>
<a class = "nav" href="Source.html"><strong><</strong>Source Code<strong>></strong></a>
<br>
<a class = "nav" href="Art.html"><strong><</strong>Artwork<strong>></strong></a>
<br>
<a class = "nav" href="Resources.html"><strong><</strong>Resources<strong>></strong></a>
<br>
<a class = "nav" href="Downloads.html"><strong><</strong>Downloads<strong>></strong></a>
<br>
<a class = "nav" href="AboutUs.html"><strong><</strong>About Us<strong>></strong></a>
<br>
</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>
<div class="main">
<table width="100%">
<tr>
<td style="text-align:center">
NEWS
</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>

</body>
</html>

I don't know why it's not working. Anyone got any ideas?
-Goten
Advertisement
I think that the <div class=""> should be <div id="">. Also, your DTD is wrong. It should be an absolute URI, not a relative one. This can cause the browser to go in quirks mode instead on stadard complience mode and do unexpected things. Perhaps using a higher DTD (like XHTML 1.0 transitional) makes a difference as well.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

You are getting your selectors wrong.

A selector of #menu applies to an element whose id is menu.

A selector of .menu applies to an element whose class is menu.

They are completely independent (unless the element whose id is menu happens to have a class of menu)

Mark
Additionally you should note that id should use a document wide unique name. If you have mutliple elements you want to format the same use 'class', if you only have a single element you want to style use 'id'.

So in your example you should stay with the definition in your stylesheet and change the div tag to
<div id="menu"> ... </div>

because you're probably going to have only one element you want to style this way.
- Gom Jabbar
K thanks guys I already changed that :) class is if i were to do something like:
.menu not #menu # = id . = class
-Goten

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement