How do I make my .x files into a resource?

Started by
3 comments, last by Drakkcon 19 years, 5 months ago
Hi, I've been searching on the net for quite a while now on how to make a resource from any file, but all I can find is the typical 'here's how to make an icon resource'-type stuff. So does anyone know how to do this? Is it even possible? I need it to keep some of the 3d model files hidden from the user (they could really mess up the game if they changed those...), so I thought I might aswell put all my external files into the exectuable, which would also make installation a lot easier. Also, once they're compiled as resources, how do I access them via the code?
Advertisement
How about saving a md5 or something for ur .x files, and check the files against the md5. that way you know the files havent been messed with
It is easy to modify stuff in resource files.. zauron's idea is better
yeah, altho it might be easy to hack the resources in a .exe, it still requires a bit of knowledge and expertise. What I really want is to have my program downloadable as one single file, instead of an .exe and a whole Media sub-dir. :-/

edit: *without* using zip files. For there are people out there who are too dumb to unzip a program correctly... :-(

[Edited by - just_haps on October 23, 2004 4:37:03 PM]
Well making them a resource file is probably not going to save much space. But I know Visual Studio lets you load any resource file. Not sure about Dev-C++, which is what I use.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement