• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

C# pointer thingy

This topic is 4870 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am building a neural network app. Here is my plan: I am going to have an 10000 array of neurons. My first question: How do I get a pointer to this array?
Neuron[] n = new Neuron[10000];
I know in C++, I could just get a pointer to first element, but in C#, the garbage collector moves stuff around. Thanx

Advertisement
I looked at the optimizations the JIT compiler performs, and it turns out that my NeuralNetwork and Neuron class would probably be super optimized with a c++ compiler. Can someone explain this thing about code interoperability? I want to write two classes in C++, super optimize them into a dll or something, and then access them from my C# code.

The best way is probably to write the library in unmanaged C++, then write a wrapper in managed C++ and use that with your C# application.

At least that's what I do for my server.

That seems like a good idea, except, won't the wrapper class have a performance hit? Also, is there any way to get the C# compiler to do a super JIT Optimization at compile time?

Quote:
Original post by Sagar_Indurkhya
That seems like a good idea, except, won't the wrapper class have a performance hit? Also, is there any way to get the C# compiler to do a super JIT Optimization at compile time?

I am not sure in your situation, but I didn't see a performance hit, it was actually the other way around.

I actually tried building the full server application in C# and lost some performance compared to my hybrid approach. Obviously there is a small hit when interfacing the unmanaged C++ with managed C++.. but the thing is that is was still faster than having the full application written in C#. All of my performance and time critical functions are in unmanaged C++.

Quote:
Original post by Sagar_Indurkhya
I am building a neural network app. Here is my plan:

I am going to have an 10000 array of neurons. My first question:
How do I get a pointer to this array?

What do you need a pointer to the array for?

Without getting into why you need this and if it's actually a good idea...you want to use the "fixed" statement.

Check out the MSDN reference.

Epolevne

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement