Tiling engines

Started by
13 comments, last by _Sigma 19 years, 6 months ago
I'm creating a 2D (hopefully 2.5D like Diablo II) RPG game, and I've been reading up on different approches to this (ie Tiling, screen based, or big image that is just scrolled around) and I was wondering if anyone had experiance with these types of scrolling, and what you guys would recommend. Whats fastest? What looks the nicest? etc Thanks Sigma
Advertisement
hey funny you should mention this. you might want to check out this thread i put up about an hour ago :)

Thread about my iso map editor

if that hasnt helped answer your question:
i believe tiles are the way to go if you can pull off a good looking scene with repetition. large maps take up a large amount of memory and can result in much more pressure on video cards.
that means that tiles are likely to be faster, but large maps can often be made prettier if the tile artist isnt up to scratch! my advice is to go with tiling if you can pull off good looking tiles.
still choose the way thats right for you :)

the_moo
the_moo
Is it possible to incorperate 3D models using a tiling engine?
i believe so but i havent touched 3d yet so i cant tell you for sure. i remember hearing about it though.

the_moo
the_moo
As for one giant bitmap, besides being slow, have you considered how you are going to store events and places where you cannot walk etc?
Quote:Original post by _Sigma
Is it possible to incorperate 3D models using a tiling engine?

Certainly. I've recently abandoned my traditional 2D iso engine for Golem in favor of an engine that utilizes 3D models for character animations. I actually have two subtly different iterations of the engine; one is an isometric in all respects, with the internals being 3D driven yet the view being indistinguishable in appearance from the traditional 2D implementation (outside of the smoother animation of the 3D models); the second utilizes most of the same tech but with a perspective projected viewpoint and rotating camera. The fundamental map structure, however, remains tilebased. Tiling can be a simple way of organizing a 'simple' world. It lacks flexibility in many regards, and thus may be unsuitable for first-person style games, but action/RTS/RPG style games can benefit enormously from a tile-based engine.
If you change your definition of 'tiles' just a bit away from the standard 2d definition of a grid of bitmaps, you can have quite complex 3d worlds. For example, dungeon siege maps were made up of tiles, but instead of some kind of grid, each tile had 'attach points' where you could stick another tile onto it. That allowed for all kinds of overhangs and fancy caves and tons of other nice geometry that wouldn't be possible in a simple heightmap/2d tile based game
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Quote:Original post by VertexNormalCertainly. I've recently abandoned my traditional 2D iso engine for Golem in favor of an engine that utilizes 3D models for character animations. I actually have two subtly different iterations of the engine; one is an isometric in all respects, with the internals being 3D driven yet the view being indistinguishable in appearance from the traditional 2D implementation (outside of the smoother animation of the 3D models); the second utilizes most of the same tech but with a perspective projected viewpoint and rotating camera. The fundamental map structure, however, remains tilebased. Tiling can be a simple way of organizing a 'simple' world. It lacks flexibility in many regards, and thus may be unsuitable for first-person style games, but action/RTS/RPG style games can benefit enormously from a tile-based engine.

But how would you handle different heights? How could you make a tile connect to another which is on a higher level without having a gap in the terrain?
Quote:Original post by Extrarius
If you change your definition of 'tiles' just a bit away from the standard 2d definition of a grid of bitmaps, you can have quite complex 3d worlds. For example, dungeon siege maps were made up of tiles, but instead of some kind of grid, each tile had 'attach points' where you could stick another tile onto it. That allowed for all kinds of overhangs and fancy caves and tons of other nice geometry that wouldn't be possible in a simple heightmap/2d tile based game

I believe I once read an article on the Siege engine and some specifics on it from one of the developers.. at least I'm 99% sure I did.

Anybody have a link or know where I might find it?
Now that you say that, I seem to remember somthing like that from working with the DS SDK. All I remember is that it was freaking unintuitive.

So if I create the 3D models in Maya, then export it as a bmp sequence, I can use thos bitmaps in my game right? And it will look like Diablo II or ther-abouts right?

Is it best to use tiling engine like Starcraft did(with the square tiles rotated 180 degrees) or one with square tiles?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement