Music & copyrights

Started by
8 comments, last by ekrax 19 years, 5 months ago
Hey, i am making a small non profit game and im wondering if you guys thinkg it would be alright for me to include copyrighted music in my game. I will of course put an add for that artist in the credits of my game, but do you think ill get sued?
Advertisement
Let me illustrate it this way:

"Hey, i am really in a hurry because i'm late for work and im wondering if you guys think it would be alright for me to drive insanely fast down the street.

I will of course avoid other cars and try stop at intersections with red lights, but do you think ill get pulled over?"

Whether you get caught or not, it doesn't make it "right". There are other sources on the web for getting free "open source"-like (for lack of a better term) music and SFX.
Quote:Original post by _Phalanx_
Hey, i am making a small non profit game and im wondering if you guys thinkg it would be alright for me to include copyrighted music in my game.

Of course. All you have to do is obtain the permission of the copyright holder.
Quote:
I will of course put an add for that artist in the credits of my game, but do you think ill get sued?

What a question! Obviously you won't get sued if you have the permission of the copyright holder.
CoV
So, how would i go about contacting artists so i can use their songs?
Quote:Original post by _Phalanx_
So, how would i go about contacting artists so i can use their songs?

If by "artists" you mean stuff you see on MTV, stuff in the charts or on the radio, then forget it. Those artists don't even have the distribution rights to their own songs, their record labels have. And they'll never give you permission, unless you pay a *lot* of cash. Using them without permission, non-profit or not, can get you into serious trouble.

You'd better look for some independent or amateur artists on the net. There are more than you might think, and many of them will be happy to give you a song or two in exchange of some free promotion.
i was thinking of DJ Tiesto, but your probly right. Ill do a google on amature techno artists
Quote:
Hey, i am making a small non profit game and im wondering if you guys thinkg it would be alright for me to include copyrighted music in my game.

I will of course put an add for that artist in the credits of my game, but do you think ill get sued?

If you are going to keep it small, and not advertise the music, you could possibly get away with putting music from a big artist, but you might want to keep it at that. Advertising, e.g., "Metallica is in the soundtrack," would not be a good idea. Besides, there are a lot of great free music tracks out there, like the Cube (FPS Engine) soundtrack.
i can recommend www.myownmusic.de to you (site is in german)
its a site where you can download music artists have put there (and you can find some REALLY good electronic music - including techno - there)

although you are not allowed to distribute the music in the first place, its really easy to get in contact with the artists and ask for their permission

regards
Charon

chaos, panic and disorder - my work here is finished

Artists who work with their own of small labels quite often give people permission to use their songs for (noncommercial) projects!

A prominent example are Subway to Sally, who without hesitation, let a small dev team in germany use one of their songs. Unfortunately, that small team has discontinued their project, which sucks - you never get a second chance to make a first impression. :p

Indie Artists will even allow you to officially license their songs, or hand them out for free.

All you need to do is be polite, and ask.
try www.em411.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement