• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

does alpha discard fragments?

This topic is 4833 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i'm thinking ahead a bit with this, but ... if i want to show something like chikenwire wraped around a guy's arm (this is a simplifcation) i can just do it by puting some polygons around his arm with a chickenwire texture on them, using alpha tests to ignore the areas where the chikenwire wouldn't be. ie the texture has an alpha value that fails the alpha test and the color is not changed. now if i just want to use single pass rendering, all i need to do is make sure that the 'chickenwire' is drawn last and everything will go happy, but as soon as i want to do shadow volumes, i can run into a problem if the ALPHA TEST ONLY DISCARDS THE COLOR? or does it discard everything not afecting the other buffers. i mean alpha TESTING i don't believe alpha BLENDING will save me...

Advertisement
when iasked the question i didn't know if 'fragment' always meant depth and stencil stuff as well. i thought it might mean color data, or that it might be implmenatation dependent

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement