[web] What do you think so far?

Started by
21 comments, last by igni ferroque 19 years, 5 months ago
Nice hover effect. I'd suggest finding a colour scheme to use. There's a colour wheel schemer in the FAQ.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Advertisement
I didn't look at a view of the site, just the html/css. Although your html is valid, it could be much cleaner. Wrapping < in your strong tags on all your items is a bad idea. You wind up with much more code than is needed. From a maintainability stand point this is going to become a nightmere. Expecially with multiple pages. I would use lists and define the bullets in the CSS the way you have used your "<" ">". At some point you are going to want to use real bullets or images anyways because using ascii characters is dull. CSS will allow you to easily change the look and feel of your entire site; but not the way you have used it.

I recommend going to the bookstore and picking up one of the "Visual Quickstart Guide" books. I have the DHTML and CSS book. It's a real quick read with lots of code and pictures for everything. Very well organised. They are only $15 bucks.

It's important to learn good coding standards now, before you get too set in your ways.

Quote:Original post by BobV
It's important to learn good coding standards now, before you get too set in your ways.

I agree. It's quite hard for me to break my habits of table-layout and to try to separate layout and design. The resources linked in this forum have helped me tremendously though. Especially ALA.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

Quote:Check my css it makes sense :)
My css is set so anything in that link thats in strong tags will be colored so u can see it only when mouseover :)

It's not HTML. You need to use the less-than and greater-than entities if you want to use those characters in text. The <code>strong</code> tag is used for text that should be emphasized. If you want to define specific behavior for inline text, use the <code>span</code> tag. Specifically, the effect you want (showing/hiding angle brackets) can be accomplished using purely structural HTML and CSS generated content.

Note: Ignore above code tags. I'm peacefully protesting GameDev's lack of support for HTML-syle code markup.
Free Mac Mini (I know, I'm a tool)
I thought that CSS 2.0+ did not work with ie. Thats what I use as do many others. Is this true?
-Goten
Well, some parts work and some parts don't. There are usually workaround or "gracefull degrading" methods for the parts that don't work though.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

Why cant microsoft just get with the damn program.
-Goten
Quote:Original post by GotenRulezU
Why cant microsoft just get with the damn program.

Because they think they are the program.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Quote:Original post by Hylo
Needs a link to gamedev [smile]

And, I would agree that the color scheme isn't too pleasing :( Try for something more neutral.

andrew.

Please refer to wellstyled

There are some articles on web design and a really great color scheme generator in the tools section.
I found out that ie6 does not support before or after elements. But i tested with netscape and it works. Question though is there somewhere i can get a breakdown of the % of user that use both ie and netscape ect.
EDIT: I also found out by testing cross browsers that they use different default fonts so I guess it would be smart to ALWAYS specify a font size. The default in ie is big the default in netscape is tiny.
-Goten

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement