• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

I need a language suggestion and pointers on a project I want to do.

This topic is 4872 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have been learning Spanish for a few months and today I was thinking about designing some sort of study aid on the computer. I want to make a flash card program. I want to be able to write the spanish word on one "card" and have the translation on the back or the next card in line. I want to be able to add as many "cards" as I want so I can more easily learn new vocabulary. I also want the program to display each card totally at random, but I also want to make sure that each card is displayed once before the stack is recycled or reshuffled. I was thinking of doing this in C# or VB because I do want this to be a visual program. I dont have any experience in either so maybe this is the perfect opportunity to learn? Can anyone give me a suggestion on which language will get this project rolling the quickest? Or if you know of a program that will already do something like this then I would love to learn about it. Thanks =)

Advertisement
I know of a non programmer that did something like this in VB in an hour or two.

Is C# supposed to be much harder to learn than VB? I keep hearing C# this and C# that from some of the people at school, but I dont really want to go with it if it is going to be significantly harder than VB.

Thanks

I would use c++ and winapi if you're using windows. Make bitmaps (or whatever) with one half containing the Spanish word and the other half containing the translation. When the card is first drawn only blit half of the card. You could then have a "show translation" function that simply blits the entire image to the screen.

And then you could use the FindFirst and FindNext functions (check out msdn if you aren't sure what they are) and simply put all of the "cards" into a directory and read them into your application. Since you can use wildcards with those functions, adding new cards dynamically would just be a matter of making the bitmap and adding it to the directory.

I dont think C++ is a good choice for some one who's said he doesnt want to do C# if its much harder than VB. :?

wilsocn: if thats all you want to do then VB is fine. I use C# and while its much easier than C++ and i would recormend C# to anyone(for windows).
For your project VB is plenty good enough and learning C++ just for that project(and projects of that level) is like cracking a wallnut with a sledgehammer.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement