• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

random number generation in C++

This topic is 4837 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to create my own random number generator, and I've found several sources which give me code on how to do it, but none of them really explain to me how it works. I know you need to call srand() to "seed" the random numbers generator, but I have no idea what that means, or what different seed values will do, or how determine what an acceptable seed value would be for your needs. Can anyone help, or point me somewhere that explains it clearly? Thanks in advance, LilMonk001

Advertisement
I dont know the theory behind the number generation but I still may say something usefull.

Boost Has a random number generator that may be of use to you because it fixes the problem of several repeated numbers in a row. Think about a tetris game where you could get 7 of the same type of bricks in a row, boost random can fix this so I hear.

Stuff like a random number generator should be left to a standard libary and only implemented for academic purposes or well I cant think of any others right now :).

Quote:
Original post by LilMonk001
I'm trying to create my own random number generator...
That's a huge topic, and your further comments suggest that is not what you are trying to do.

C includes a pseudorandom number generator in its standard library. Random numbers are obtained through subsequent invocations of rand(). The RNG (random number generator) can be seeded, resulting in the same sequence of numbers for the same number of invocations. Seeding is performed using the srand() function.

#include <cstdlib>
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
srand(123456789);
for(int i = 0; i < 10; ++i)
{
cout << rand() << ", ";
}
cout << '\n' << endl;

srand(123456789);
for(int i = 0; i < 10; ++i)
{
cout << rand() << ", ";
}
cout << endl;

return 0;
}

The output is 10 sequences of the same random numbers. This means that you can generate the same sequence of random numbers by seeding the RNG with the same value, a technique that is useful in, for instance, replay systems.

You can use Mersenne twister generator. It's pretty good and fast. It has some nice properties and is simple to use (at least my modified version).
You can download source for various languages here.

If you aren't looking for pre-built solutions, Numerical Recipes has a good chapter on random number generation. It explains things fairly well, and leaves you in a state where you can create several different algorithms depending on your specific needs.

CM

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement