• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Unity [web] INITIATE ME.

This topic is 4958 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Yeah. I'm not sure just how accurate that thread title is, but whatever. So here's the thing: I'm a web designer at the moment, I've recently been upgraded from 2D/3D Artist. I don't know if any of you have seen my work, but some is floating around these forums somewhere. So to further my advancement in web design, I've gotten this fledgling company to foot the bill on some authoring programs, and have been digging into Flash and javascript. Now-- at heart, I'm a game designer. And I've been itching over the years to realize these game ideas, so much to the point that you could translate code line-by-line from volumes of outlines and concept drawings I've made. Anyways, I do in fact have a programming friend, but he's of the mind of "well, if it's going to be this, then it might as well be that", and he goes on like that until we're faced with making the next Half-Life 2. He's written everything from .NET to Assembly, so I've grown to expect that side of him. "If it doesn't rake in millions, what's the point?" But aside from these EPIC PROJECT ideas *we* have, there are also smaller ideas that I have that are low-commitment, and can be enjoyed on a large scale despite the fact that there'll never be a Collector's Edition. In short, I want to design games for the Web(in case you didn't gather that two paragraphs ago), and I'm done depending on him to take my lead. I know that unless I do this for myself, I'll end up doing another high-poly 3D engine that'll only get half done... which has happened twice already. Now, I've been reading up on capabilities of online languages, but I'm still torn. I've seen capabilities of javascript put to excellent use, especially on this board, and I already know enough of it to make the website pretty-- but of course you're all aware of its current state of "popularity". .NET is a great resource, too(in fact, we're making software under it now), and the graphics capabilities are attractive-- but it might be over my head, especially when you get into the finer points of OOP, which I was never the best at. Flash is great, and I'm familiar with it, but AS can get murky pretty quick-- and I've always had issues with framerate whenever I try to do anything remotely impressive. So, I ask you all: where should I start? No, I don't expect to get on the ball within a week, or even a month. But at the same time, I don't want to be overwhelmed right off the bat. I'd like to at least be able to script "Hello World" before I get totally lost. A few points I'd like you all to discuss: - Native online(run completely from browser windows) - Server-side vs. Client-side(code security, handling p2p) - 3D or pseudo-3D(raycasting, isometric) capability - Database management(I guess SQL would be the ideal here, but you can prove me wrong) - Runtime: I know JS gets left with about 10% of total processing power, but I'm not exactly doing Doom3 here... - Syntax(I seem to trip up on that most often) If anyone can put me on the right track, I hope I get into it enough to make this my favorite board, because The Lounge has been like Purgatory. I'll also be looking into programming environments-- I can only hope I find a WYSIWYG editor something like Flash MX. In conclusion: if any thread were an opportunity to pimp your favorite web language, this would be it! P.S. Sorry if I sound like a "How do I make an MMORPG" schmuck. That's not my *first* project, if you need to know.

Advertisement
If I were you I would definately look in to Java (not javascript). I've seen 3D engines done in it and I believe that there's an OpenGL API for it as well. It does most of the stuff you want to do and runs a lot faster than JS or other web-based technologies (perhaps ActiveX but i'd strongly recommend against that).

I don't think there is a technology that exists which comes close to meeting those requirements, but Java is probably the only one with enough power (but you get nothing like WYSIWYG), and Flash gives you the graphical development but lacks most of the raw power you're after. javascript and .NET are really for very different things and probably are of little use here.

I wasn't necessarily looking for The Ultimate Web Game Resource, I was just looking to weigh the pros and cons. Since my friend has at least shown me some tricks for passing variables in between embedded objects of different types, I may just be able to use a mix. Like a Flash RPG that calls world data from a .NET-managed database and the like. Or that's limited to a display surrounded by an XML UI.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!