• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
OuncleJulien

Direct3D stability problems

This topic is 5109 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm making a Direct3D app and it works just fine on my laptop that I develop on. When I take the executable over to my gaming PC (GeForce 6800 Ultra) and run the program, it loads up, shows the first frame (sometimes it'll get in a few frames) and then the computer will hang for about 20 seconds. After that it'll either crash the computer, corrupt the display (which requires a restart to fix), or very rareirly after hanging it'll resume normally. Has anyone else experienced this? Only thing can think is that I'm not defaulting some render states or something. Here's the render state init code: g_d3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_CULLMODE,D3DCULL_CCW); g_d3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_FOGENABLE,false); g_d3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_ALPHABLENDENABLE,true); g_d3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_SRCBLEND,D3DBLEND_SRCALPHA); g_d3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_DESTBLEND,D3DBLEND_INVSRCALPHA); g_d3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_LIGHTING,FALSE); g_d3dDevice->SetSamplerState(0, D3DSAMP_MIPFILTER, D3DTEXF_LINEAR); g_d3dDevice->SetSamplerState(0, D3DSAMP_MAGFILTER, D3DTEXF_LINEAR); g_d3dDevice->SetSamplerState(0, D3DSAMP_MINFILTER, D3DTEXF_LINEAR); g_d3dDevice->SetFVF(Vertex::FVF); fyi- the comp that has problems runs bf1942, bfv, UT2004, and DOOM3 flawlessly. If anyone knows why it would be doing this, how to resolve it, or has any other insight please let me know!

Advertisement
You're running in fullscreen mode, right? Well I'd bet that some of the adapter defaults are different between the two computers, thus something you're not setting is the difference.

Aside from that, it sounds like a memory leak.

I'm actually running in windowed. I just tested it out on a Geforce 3 and it seems to run just fine =( I just don't understand why everything except the one thing I make doesn't work on my gaming pc (but seems to work on all others)

Can you put your IDE on your gaming PC and run with full debug? Also, try the reference device instead of HAL and see if that shows anything that you forgot.

Chris

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!