• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
darkandevil

Game for people who like Halo?

This topic is 5041 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am trying to make a first person shooter, like Halo, with a very descriptive storyline and all, but I dont know how to start it. I not experienced in any "real" game development, such as c++, but I started a little with Darkbasic/Blitzbasic 3D. I also am not familiar with any 3D modeling programs at all. I can make a little music, sound effects, but thats about it. I need some information on how to get started with 3D modeling, C++ (or another language, if you think one is better), and some help on how to find a team to help develop this game...

Advertisement
making a game like, similar, or as Halo is extremely difficult.
especially if you don't have a grasp on programmming.

what i suggest is figure out whether you feeling more comfortable with programming (DarkBasic, C++, whatever) or modeling (do a search in the Visual Arts Forum for packages and tutorials). when you figure that out then go in that direction. when you become stuck in anything feel free to ask.

but right now, homestly, you're not ready to gather a team together for any game related project (of any level).

let us know how it goes!

Quote:

what i suggest is figure out whether you feeling more comfortable with programming (DarkBasic, C++, whatever) or modeling (do a search in the Visual Arts Forum for packages and tutorials). when you figure that out then go in that direction.

I was having a hard time just making a simple game with DarkBasic, becuase I wanted to go straight to 3D, no 2D learning games, like Pong, or something.

So, I tried 3D modeling. I couldnt afford any 3D modeling programs, so I downloaded a couple free ones. I could never figure out exactly how to make anything. All I could come up with were sphere's with elven ears, without the rest of the elf.

Any help?

I think we all understand your longing to move quickly past the 'easy' stuff, but patience truly is a virtue here. These 'easy' projects are often times not nearly as easy as we think, and are almost always FAR more beneficial to our understanding than we would have guessed. If you don't want to make pong, then find something else at the same level. Heck, design your own little game, if you want :) The point is, if you can have the patience to learn the basics its going to benefit you immeasurably later on, because you'll be better equiped to do the stuff you want to do, faster and with less frustration, than you will be if you just try to skip to the good stuff.

I can't help you out with the free modellers, but I can suggest an excellent C++ book that you can get really cheap on Amazon. The book is called C++ From The Ground Up. There's apparently a new edition out, but you can still get the 2nd edition (its the one I have and it's a bit cheaper, if you want to help keep the cost down more). Here's links to both editions:

2nd edition

3rd edition

To summarize: Be patient, learn to crawl before you walk, don't lose heart, and most importantly try to keep it fun, regardless of where you are in your learning!

There's a lot of information on both 3d Artists and Programming. What would you like to first start learning? I would suggest programming. Work your way up. Since you want to skip 2d, try and just get a ball to roll on a plane Monkey Ball style. It'll give you some experience with graphics and control. Aswell as exposing you with some of the basics of game programming. Work on first just getting a sphere on the screen, Then having that sphere sit on a plane. Then tilt the plane and have the sphere react. Tweak tweak tweak. It's kinda the pattern that you have to go in.

~Wave

well, i was in the visual arts department, and I saw a model of a sword, or a dagger as people were calling it, by a person who had just started modeling. it go me to download wings3d, and now I am installing. i am also wondering, you metioned to make a ball roll on a plane, what langauge should I start, and what are the free alternatives? i dont have a lot of money to buy 3ds max, or maya.

windg3D is fine, actually at this point any (free) 3D package is fine.

what is means is that you have a game, of sorts, where you have a ball (that you modeled) have control it using the keyboard (input obviously) on a plain flat floor. it's nothing too fancy but it will get you acquainted with input, graphics, collision detection and maybe sound programming. all with the 3D touch. and that should be easy to do with Dark/Blitz Basic.

[google] for the tutorials on Wings3D

Ok,
I downloaded Wings3D. I was having trouble, because I
started to make a sword. Then I saw your post, where
you said to make a ball on flat terrain. I dont have
DarkBASIC anymore, because I switched PC's and the Free4schools
people wont let me get another, so it will be a while until
I can get DB. So I tried doing so with BlitzBasic. I noticed
how hard it is just to make a model appear on the screen;
setting the graphics mode and all, I mean, darkbasic is a lot
easier to make games with, but dosent have all the feautres of
a more sophisticated language like C++. I have downloaded
Dev-C++, and I found that lots of people dont use Dev-C++,
but Visual C++, is there a free Visual C++.

Quote:
Original post by darkandevil
Ok,
I downloaded Wings3D. I was having trouble, because I
started to make a sword. Then I saw your post, where
you said to make a ball on flat terrain. I dont have
DarkBASIC anymore, because I switched PC's and the Free4schools
people wont let me get another, so it will be a while until
I can get DB. So I tried doing so with BlitzBasic. I noticed
how hard it is just to make a model appear on the screen;
setting the graphics mode and all, I mean, darkbasic is a lot
easier to make games with, but dosent have all the feautres of
a more sophisticated language like C++. I have downloaded
Dev-C++, and I found that lots of people dont use Dev-C++,
but Visual C++, is there a free Visual C++.

maybe working on the sword and getting the graphics mode working on BlitzBasic should be your main priorities right now. but if you think setting up graphics mode in BlitzBasic is hard, then you should not even bother with C++ or any packages for it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!