• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

IS there a language besides C++ to make rpgs?

This topic is 4834 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was wondering if there was a language besides c++ that would be good for making games, maybe like VB or such. Just curious really. If c++ is the best route then ill take that route, but if there is an equally good alternate route i'd like to try that.

Advertisement
No offense but its like asking "Are there any materials besides pencils for making art?". Pick a language you feel comfortable with and that you think has the flexibilty to acheive what you want. As far as C++ goes its very powerful, flexible, and well documented. If this is what you can do, stick with it.

what i meant was: is c++ the best language for making games speedwise.

I dont want to write games that run slowly. I did not know if VB or any other language could compare to c++ when it came to preformance.

I know it can be done with really any language, but I did not know if it would run smoothly/fast.

It really doesn't matter. A C++ program may be faster than a VB program (assuming comparable proficiency levels: A well-written VB program may well be much faster than a poorly written C++ program), but VB would probably be fast enough. So would Python, Java, Pascal, Delphi, *Basic, Common Lisp, Scheme, C, Fortran, Cobol, and any of another few dozen or hundred languages.

Don't let runtime speed govern your choice of language. It's rarely a relevant criterion.

(Personally I'm a great Python proponent. Wonderful language to work with, and if some particular module turns out to actually be too slow, just implement that particular part in C or C++.)

^ exactly. I don't know how advanced you are in your programming, but if you are anything like me, there is no way you can write a program that will need to be that fast. The only programs that NEED to be written in c++ for speed are the huge commercial games writen by dozens of people with years of experience.

The only time I have ever found VB remotely "slow" was when I wrote a space invaders game using all picture boxes and lots of variants, and it still ran at over 20 FPS. I can write the same game in VB.NET/DX9 with better art, transparency, and a host of other stuff that could easily have a framerate in the 100's.

Moral of the story, use whichever language you feel comfortable with and that you think will allow to finish your project. I personally prefer VB (and now C#). They let me develop quickly and efficiently with minimal loss to quality or speed.

i play to write a somewhat 2d mmorpg game (with the looks of Ragnarokonline)

characters will either be sprites or low poly 3d figures.

the environments will be somewhat 3d, but nothing too inense.

examples of my main goal:

http://iro.ragnarokonline.com/
http://iro.ragnarokonline.com/

something similar to those 2 games.

My programming knowledge is very basic C++ and decent PHP and SQL. I know i need to start at the bottom writing silly simple games at first, but i'd just like to know what path would be best to take.

I found C++ a bit hard to learn, but that is because the books never really fully explained the pass by reference and pass by value concepts to me, and they never really gave me a good idea on classes. But now i have the class concept down since i have done some major web dev undertakings in php. I'm still lacking the "pass by" concepts, but i know i can learn them.

I have heard VB is easier, but I have not done much with it (almost nothing).

I'm kind of looking for a shove in the right direction. I'm thinking it will probably be C++ since I have decent php knowlegde, and php and C++ (from what i have seen of it) are pretty similar.

The biggest thing you should do is compare the languages and figure out what you want to do and what will be best to do it in. If you are doing mostly string manipulation I'd suggest Perl, high end visual graphics I'd suggest C++ with OpenGL, MultiPlatform independence I'd go with Java, For a freaky AI language I'd go with Prolog. Whichever way you go you can figure out quickly that each language also has it's shortcommings too.

Here are a few links I think could help:
http://www.geocities.com/tablizer/langopts.htm
http://www.python.org/doc/essays/comparisons.html
http://page.mi.fu-berlin.de/~prechelt/Biblio/jccpprt_computer2000.pdf

Anyway most of the time people go with C++ because it is a powerful language that has adapted well and has a LOT of learning aids. If you have any other question just keep askin.

This topic is 4834 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.