• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
FxMazter

c# - static function members - huh ?

This topic is 5015 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well, I'm concidering c# :) While I was testing some stuff I noticed that I can't declare static data inside a function?? Then how is that done in C# then ? int CalculateOnce() { static int the_result = Calculate(); return the_result } Seems odd to me ?

Advertisement
This is not possible in C# or .NET in general, though some languages use a workaround. The reason is that in .NET functions do not have "state", only types do.

In C#, if you want to do this, use a private member variable (static). VB.NET and MC++ attain this behavior in the same way, just behind the scenes. The use of static creates a "hidden" private static member in the class.

Matt

namespace GameDev.Samples
{
public class Calculate
{
static private int the_result = 0;

static Calculate()
{
the_result = Calculate.Now();
}

public static int Once()
{
return the_result;
}

private static Now()
{
// Do calculation here.
}
}
}

Static constructor will assign the variable for you. Calculate.Once() will return the result. You could create an accessor to do the same thing though:

static public int Once
{
get
{
return this.the_result;
}
}

Make any supporting functions static as well unless you want to instantiate an object behind the scenes.

An explanation as to why C# doesn't support C# function level static variables can be found at http://blogs.msdn.com/csharpfaq/archive/2004/05/11/130248.aspx. Primarily thread issues.

(This is exactly what CpMan said. I'm just providing a code example to his explanation.)

Quote:
Original post by Talonius
*** Source Snippet Removed ***

Static constructor will assign the variable for you. Calculate.Once() will return the result. You could create an accessor to do the same thing though:

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

Make any supporting functions static as well unless you want to instantiate an object behind the scenes.

An explanation as to why C# doesn't support C# function level static variables can be found at http://blogs.msdn.com/csharpfaq/archive/2004/05/11/130248.aspx. Primarily thread issues.

(This is exactly what CpMan said. I'm just providing a code example to his explanation.)

Thanks for the help.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!