• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Si0n

Tricks of Windows Game Programming Guru / Programming in WIndows 5th Edition

This topic is 5078 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Alright question time =) First, how much knowledge of basic c++ (no graphics, just console) should I have before I read these books? Do I have to know an API. Also, are tehy any good? which one is better? is the book by Charles Petzold already outdated? or should I read both? If so, which one first? or at the same time? And what would I learn from them? Sorry for the number of questions, I'm just really curious =P

Advertisement
Also, add the RPG with Direct X 8 one, I heard it was good.

Ideally, I'd have to choose one cuz I don't have any money, but I might get a job soon (if anybody would hire me...)

Tricks of Windows Game Programming Guru is a very good book, you should be comfortable with C++, so that you are able to write programs your self (ie. like make a little program that takes an input and does something with it, know about functions, and loops etc.)

This book will take you from knowing nothing about graphics programing to a very good understanding of how it all works and will definitly get you started on your first project.

One item to note Game Programming for Dummys is EXACTLY the same as Tricks of Windows Game Programming Guru except its missing some of the more advanced chapters.. I have both and I'm telling you the first chapter reads word for word the same.

I will also say that if you want to save money for now, you should read Game Genisis in the Articles section of this site.. it show you all the basics to start a RPG, it will definitly help you if you read that and then read the Tricks of Windows Game Programming Guru's. I found it was helpful to have 2 wordings so that I could really understand what they where trying to say.

Here is a link to the first article in the Game Genisis Series: http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1229.asp

Anyways good luck with your project

BTW, if your going to stick with simple 2D graphics then you can always checkout SDL, I created my game using it, its pretty simple to use but a little harder to get started in because there aren't very many tutorials or articles about how to do everything.

If you have the time, checkout my game in my sig

Petzold's Programming Windows is an invaluable reference. But if you aren't going to use the Win32 API much, then it's probably useless to you. Tricks is also a good buy. Both of those books on my shelf are in rather shabby shape from all of the use I've gotten out of them.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!