• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
GameDev135

dynamically deleting arrays

This topic is 5105 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This code gives me a core dump, something is wrong with the way I delete the memory. What am I doing wrong ?
	char *p;
	p = new char [50];
	p = "hello";
	cout << p << endl;   // this successfully outputs word hello

delete[] p; // when this line is commented, program works but im sure there is a memory leak

edit: Put the code into a codebox

Advertisement
When you do p = "hello" you're actually changing what p is pointing to. In this example, you're pointing to the string "hello" rather than modifying the memory you allocated. You could try something like: strcpy(p, "hello") instead. That way, you'd be modifying your dynamically-allocated memory rather than making p point to a constant string.

Quote:
Original post by GameDev135
This code gives me a core dump, something is wrong with the way I delete the memory. What am I doing wrong ?

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

edit: Put the code into a codebox

p = "hello";

It loses the dynamically allocated memory.

> p = "hello";
You have a mem leak here because you are assigning new address here to p pointer. You must first free array memory.

guys, i think he's/she's only just started on pointers :)

i'll try to teach ya about pointers real quick..

when you do this: p = new char[50] you're returned a memory address, eg. 0x01 (just an example, its not really like this). this block of memory is 50 chars long, and p only points to the block, kinda like how a sign points to a town (ie, the sign is not the town!)

when you assign p like how you did, you "moved the sign". eg, when you do this: p = "hello", p now points to a new memory block (the memory block thats storing your string "hello") like 0x05.

the problem is, when you assigned p to "hello" you it no longer points to that originally allocated block (0x01), when you try to delete [] p, you're trying to delete memory that you didn't allocate yourself. you should be deleting 0x01, but p is pointing to 0x05, which isn't yours!

doing this is a no no!

hope that helped dude(or dudette)

-Danu

Also when you should be aware that when you assign a string like
p = "hello";
the memory that 'p' is pointing to is read only.

cheers
sam

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!