Graphics Tablet

Started by
10 comments, last by Enlighter 19 years, 5 months ago
I am just getting in to graphics arts and need some advice. I am looking at the WACOM GRAPHIRE 3 TABLET 4x5. I will be using it for concept art and touch ups as well as other light tasks. Is this good enough or should I be looking at something else? Thanks.
Steven Bradley .:Personal Journal:. .:WEBPLATES:. .:CGP Beginners Group:. "Time is our most precious resource yet it is the resource we most often waste." ~ Dr. R.M. Powell
Advertisement
I'd probably suggest going a step higher and getting an Intuos 2. It's got a nice rubber grip, a nice fat pen (Which feels really comfortable) and has a matte finish to it (Compared to the Graphire 2s shiny surface which has a bad habit of making the pen 'stick'). These make a tonne of difference when you're using it all day.

It's more expensive, but it's a far better product, at least compared to the Graphire 2 (Haven't seen the 3 though, I'll admit)
Thanks. I'll check it out.
Steven Bradley .:Personal Journal:. .:WEBPLATES:. .:CGP Beginners Group:. "Time is our most precious resource yet it is the resource we most often waste." ~ Dr. R.M. Powell
Quote:Original post by PlayfulPuppy
I'd probably suggest going a step higher and getting an Intuos 2. It's got a nice rubber grip, a nice fat pen (Which feels really comfortable) and has a matte finish to it (Compared to the Graphire 2s shiny surface which has a bad habit of making the pen 'stick'). These make a tonne of difference when you're using it all day.

It's more expensive, but it's a far better product, at least compared to the Graphire 2 (Haven't seen the 3 though, I'll admit)

Plus, it has 1024 levels of pressure compared to the Graphire 2/3's 512, and supports tilt.
_________________Politics is the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next month and next year. And to have the ability afterwards to explain why it didn't happen. -- Winston ChurchillGDNet-0.2 - rate users the easy way with this nifty Firefox extension. Updated with new features.
I must admit, I've never used the tilt. When you're looking at the screen all the time, I find it really hard to judge the angle I have the pen at.
I have the Intous2. I'm not sure if it's a million times better than the graphire, but i would certainly recommend the 6x8 size over the smaller one.

Get the larger size for sketching and artwork. Get the smaller size if all you really plan to do is photo touchup.
I recently bought a Graphire 3 4x5 and like it. However, I really wish I had splurged for the Intuos 6x8. It would absolutely be worth it - the Graphire 3 is just too poor quality for me.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Since it's not anything that has moving parts, i would strongly recommend eBay.
I have an intuos, but the new graphires are more than enough for what you´re going to do with it. I´ve tried a graphire the other day and the difference isn´t perceptible - you won´t notice the pressure sensitivity gradients at all, so the only thing you should look at when deciding is the size of the tablet itself.
For me A6 is big enough, but if you´re a fine arts type you´ll probably be much happier with an A4 (which are fairly expensive though).

at any rate, try before you buy
I have a really cheap e3works 4x5 tablet. It suits my needs for now but I'm planning on getting a bigger Wacom tablet sometime, because I suspect this tablet is way on the crappy side and also it isn't compatible with Open Canvas :( If you're going to be doing lots of sketching and concept art stuff then I would suggest getting something bigger than 4x5.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement