• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
CodeTrack

Whats the diffrence between Visual Studios .Net Accedimic and Pro?

This topic is 4986 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I’m a student going into programming. I would like to know if I should get the Academic version of Visual Studio’s or to save up and get the pro version. There is a huge difference in prices at $100(academic) to around $800(pro). I wonder if it’s just all the little tool’s that come with the pro? I currently have an old version of visual studios 6.0 and it’s driving me up the wall when trying to mess with new source code for .Net (Last night I was trying to convert doom3 sdk to work with VisStdo6 so I could mess with it a bit) Could anyone give me a few pro’s and cons of going with pro or academic? I’m mainly interested in C++ .Net

Advertisement
I got VS .NET PRO 2002 for around $250 US off of ebay. I just bought VS 5.0 from one seller, then the VS 2002 upgrade from another. I actually think prices have dropped on EBAY since then.

I'd suggest just going that route.

As far as I know (and i'm not positive on this)

You cannot sell things that are created with the academicly licensed software. Otherwise, I believe the .NET Pro Academic version is the same as the .NET Pro retail version.

The point is that the academic software is supposed to be used to learn it and get you addicted before you go out into the world and do things that will make you money with it.

I'm not positive on this, but most academic software does not let you sell things you create with it.

Wow, I hope that's not the case. Maybe I'll just wait until the Express 2005 beta is done, and buy the upgrdae from Visual C++ 6.0 to that.

Quote:
Original post by ktuluorion
As far as I know (and i'm not positive on this)

You cannot sell things that are created with the academicly licensed software. Otherwise, I believe the .NET Pro Academic version is the same as the .NET Pro retail version.

There is no such restriction as long as you actually pay for Academic. Search the forums - we've been over this many times before.

THE PRO VERSION IS THE EXACT SAME AS THE ACADEMIC. You can distribute, sell, anything just like the pro. It even comes with all the same tools and the optimizing compiler. If you get a legit copy (ie, you are a student and payed for it, not MSDNAA), there is no difference except for the huge price drop.

Academic is a _SUPERSET_ of Pro. Yes, it has stuff that Pro does not, related to the academic aspect (not sure what, I've never used that stuff =-).
The only other difference is the license - you have to meet certain requirements about being a student or staff member of a certain level of school to buy academic, while there are no such requirements on Pro.

However, if you get academic from your school though their MSDN subscription, it has a different license that is much more limiting. I think it might actually not allow selling programs created with it and things like that, but I can't be certain.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!