• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Old-style arcade racing games engine

This topic is 4867 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi! i'm looking for tutorial/source code/docs for an engine like we had in outrun, grand prix circuit, etc... i cannot find one anywhere! i tried coding it, it works with straight road, but i dont know what to do with curves! please help!

Advertisement
I'm not sure what the kinds of games you're talking about look like, but if it is anything like the SNES racing games like FZero and Mario Cart, there is a free engine somewhere that simulates the look extremely well. I believe the engine was called "Mode X"(because that is the SNES mode for that kind of drawing), but I can't find it now due to the fact that there is TONS of stuff that goes by the same name.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Hi! I'm looking for information on the same subject-- my questions concern engines such as those in games like Lotus, Outrun or more recently, Top Gear Rally. I have a page about the subject, but so far I have been unable to get good looking hills to work. My page is www.gorenfeld.net/lou/pseudo. I have some theories about doing accurate hills by using projected line segments, but I would like to know how the more nicely rounded hills such as those in Outrunners or Lotus are done. If anybody has information on this subject, please post!

Thanks!
Louis

no, mode x is not what youre looking for. mode x is a much more sophisticaed 3d fake.

i have to admit ive never even tried to code such a thing.

shame on me i guess, but i cant inagine it being too hard. you might want to do a simple vertical raycast on some 1d heightmap to get decent results, corners should simply be a matter of offsetting each row to be drawn.

that should work, but i dont think thats how it was done. googleable i suppose though...

Mode X == PC display mode based on VGA Mode 13h except with extra memory.

Mode 7 == SNES/Super Famicom mode which allows scaling, shifting and rotation of a hardware playfield.

The older arcade machines had similar custom bitmap scale/rotate hardware. ISTR those older games also used sprites overlaid on top of the landscape too. When you can do things like per scanline offsets and even readdressing you can do some very clever looking stuff.

Here's a random sample from a quick Google for "Mode 7"+hills:

http://www.taswegian.com/TwoHeaded/mode7.html

http://www.gp32x.com/board/lofiversion/index.php/t9954.html

Guest Anonymous Poster
Well, you got me interested in these engines again, so I've whipped up a program that resembles Lotus Turbo Challenge's engine. I have added a description of the changes on my page (URL is posted in my last message), and will revise it after I am finished so that the description is clearer.

Louis

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement