• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Johnny Rascal

OpenGL Ghosting in OpenGL

This topic is 5103 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Howdy! I've been messing around with a homegrown 2D engine using OpenGL, but ever since I've switched to a LCD monitor, I've been getting some nasty ghosting issues with it. The response rate for my monitor is 15ms, and the application is going at 60 frames per second according to the FPS counter, and I've run both commercial applications and the NeHe demos without any ghosting problems. Any suggestions as to what the problem might be?

Advertisement
I have syncronisation issues whenever i have another 3d application or something playing videos running in the background, you could try that. (Visualisations in media players are the biggest culprits of this)

VSync is enabled, and I don't run 3D applications when testing my project. It's not that things are out of sync, it's that everything is really blurry when it moves.

motion blur style? it sounds like you might just have a kinda average lcd display, you're not drawing white on black or anything are you?

I'm using 32 bit color in ortho mode, and commercial OpenGL applications don't cause me any problems. As I mentioned earlier, the response time on my monitor is 15ms, and my project was going at 60 frames per second using frame-independent rendering.

well, i'm not too sure about lcds in general-
maybe the frame rate is too high, try vsyncing the other apps and see if they give you the ghosting effect, if so, simply turn of vsync and cap the fps to like 30 or so...

sorry i can't be of much more help that that. I never really liked lcds because of their poor performance when it comes to games/multimedia ... I remember playing doom3 on my friends lcd, and (compared to my crt) it was unbearable...

I've noticed that on LCD monitors in general certain resolutions are more blurry than others. Try changing your screen settings to something wider (e.g. if you are running your app in 800x600, try changing it to run in 1024x768 to see if it's still blurry). Another way to see if it's just because of the monitor and not your application is to decrease the size of your screen settings. So if you have Windows (assuming it's a Windows app you're creating), then go to your Windows Display Properties in the Control Panel, and change the screen size to be a lower resolution (e.g. if you are set to 1024x768, change it to 800x600 to see if it's blurry).

Best of luck if it's not this, I don't know offhand!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!