• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Small AI Simulations (Beginner)

This topic is 4803 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there, i'm currently a student planning for a placement year in industry at the end of this year. And my question... (deep breathe) What kind of small AI apps would be suitable for demonstarting ability or more to the point would impress an employer...? (bearing in mind that AI will not be met in my course before my placement) I have knowledge of fsm's etc. and have recently covered a* and similar (very vague, i mean the other similar searches which are sometimes included in related articles) (Oh, and i intend on doing it in C++) I was originally thinking of a real-time rabbit and fox situation, where the rabbit leaves home, searches for resources, due to level of hunger (based on individual basis). Rabbits can die of old age, starvation (if born stupid?) and be killed by preaditor. The foxes on a more simple basis would have a hunger level, age and would have a memory of where rabbits spotted after finding initially, so they can return to feed. (And i'm toying with gene-pools, survival of the fittest.... <slaps wrist> when i get it working) Will initially have maps drawn in ascii, but will port to 2d (and make it look pretty) when complete. (oh and i'm planning on 2d grid basing it) It's that kind of idea, although I would greatly appreciate all other ideas, and thoughts on this. If this is a bad project for only a months work, what else could be suggested to impress a company boss? Ideally i want to set myself a month to complete this project, noting that i will spend most of my hours awake working on this (when not atending uni of-course ;) ) Ok, i'm gonna shut-up now, all help very much appreciated... Thanks in advance, Add.

Advertisement
You should choose a project based on the type of placement you want or expect. Baring that, write a Teitleman character recognition applet in Java or something [this is extremely easy].

Hi, thx for the reply,
I'm hoping to produce a few small things. I've got some java applet complete in the form of a small Java3d applet (lighting, textures etc.), it's very simple and it works. I have a few other java examples as this is my first programming language, that can do a range of tasks. The reason for writing it in c++ is to show a few things...
1) I can use more than one language
2) I can adapt to learning another language in a short period of time (mainly talked abt in CV)

The reason it is not placement specific is that I will not know about placements early enough for me to write really what is a small projects work of code, then send it off in the time constarints, in light of this i intend on having some pre-coded examples of working code i have produced.

The reasoning behind the AI is that, this is an area i wish to excel (what a great word to use mid-sentance... noted :)) in. I am aware that it will be a difficult area, but i feel i have the dedication to see it through.

If possible a placement in this area would be awesome, allowing me to see how this is done in person propperly, by the pro's. Hence the AI task really...

If you're interested in AI, the book to read is Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach. It's brilliant. Good luck.

My advice for making games to show an employer would be to add 'debugging' graphics into the demo. By debugging I mean show some graphical representation of what is happening internally within your AI system.

So using your fox and rabbit game as an example....
You may show a small transparent object over the sites where the fox has last seen the rabbit and have lines showing where the fox is currently searching, or something similar.

The reason here is to let people understand what's going on in the code, it's all well to see the fox chase the rabbit and eventually catch it, but by graphically representing some of your data structures the complexities of your system will be visible.

Doolwind

That's an ace idea, have started implementing that into my pathfinding...
Cheers doolwind.

If there are ay other thoughts at all please keep posting them...

Thanks, Add

are we talking 1 rabbit or a bunch of them? If its lots of rabbits and foxes you should have a bar that compares the fox population to the rabbit population. By the way its a great idea.

Thanks,

I was thinking a few of them, i've expanded my design on this hugely i think i'm gonna make it a side project over a year or so to give myself a realistic development time for it.

Unfortunately i won't have it ready for placement applications but i should comfortably have the project (yep it's a project now :)) ready for job applications if i don't decide (get invited to) stay on at my placement comapny.

Add

Guest Anonymous Poster
This looks like the kind of program I'd be interested in seing when you have something working. If you feel like posting it somewhere anyway.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement