• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Dko

I think I might actualy do it.

This topic is 5003 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I think I finnaly have the skills to put together a simple text rpg. Tommaro hopefully ill feel better(sick ><) and im gona start jotting down a few notes and get a basic idea how its all gona work out. Then ill start coding with the rooms and the movement between them. Heh I feel psyked. :3 To bad my head is killing me right now. -_-

Advertisement
Card games are good, too. You can start to mess around with simple AI and grow it as you get better. Also, you can start with text-based then add in graphics.

My first game was a text based RPG too, it is very good for starting. What language will you be using?

Mine was QBasic in DOS. It is very good for starting because you can compile into a .exe file and distribute by itself! DL QBasic

I'd like to see your first version when you've finished it!

From Neil

Quote:
Original post by Nightwalk
My first game was a text based RPG too, it is very good for starting. What language will you be using?

Mine was QBasic in DOS. It is very good for starting because you can compile into a .exe file and distribute by itself! DL QBasic

I'd like to see your first version when you've finished it!

From Neil

Whoa!!!! Thanks Nightwalk, I looked for Qbasic 4.5 for practically years before I just gave up, and made my qb programs distributed with my qb exec.

Quote:
Original post by jack_1313
Text-based games are a great place to start off. Good luck.

+1. I was thinking of using one as the "goal project" when (if) I ever get around to writing a C++ tutorial.

Quote:
Original post by Nightwalk

Ill be using C++. Its what ive been learning for quite a while but now as Spongebob would say. "Im ready!" to finnaly make something of my own instead of following examples and typing them out.

Yeah QBasic 4.5 is really good for compiling games into .exe! have you played the games Gorilla and Nibbles? They are Classic Games, they come with QBasic, and are really cool!! and the souce code is very nice.

i want to use C to write a simple full screen DOS game with simple pixel graphics and some colors, how would i get graphics working? so I can draw things on the screen. Which libraries do i need? Can i use C or C++ or both?

I recently got a copy of Delphi. It is really good, just like VB only the .exe files are self-relient and run on any windows platform without runtimes! :) but slightly bigger .exe than vb

The best way to get started is to start right away without even jotting stuff down. Yes, many will argue my point, but I find that the best stuff I created when I was a beginner was done without any planning. You just have to think it through and stuff programming (for the simple stuff, that is).

As for text RPG? I think they are a great place to start off. They keep your options open to anything. Tic Tac Toe is also a good console game to create as it introduces arrays and simple text input. Good luck!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!