• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

which graphics card pls!

This topic is 4839 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've got onboardgraphics via Intel Extreme 2. It was ok for my simple games I had written until I bought the pc game "StarWars Battalion" You know how it is when you've got all the settings on low and one frame you're looking at the enemy and the next you're looking 180 degrees different direction without any flowing movement inbetween. So, I found the below web site which compares different cards: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/chipsets/display/i915g_4.html Basically Intel 865G comes off worst in all the tests. Sowhich card should I buy for my pc, bearing in mind I want cheap!!! Radeon 9200 128 MB SE seems ok for my needs and is only £36 from the shops. Would anyone recommend or suggestanything else than this? By the way, shouldn't there be a forum for "hardware" as this mail would fit right in there... cheers ade

Advertisement
This is probably the wrong forum for your post, as it is intended for people developing games but I have the Radeon 9200 and am fairly happy with it. However, if you want full scene antialiasing, the 9200 is very poor at it, so go for a cheap GeForce. Also Nvidia cards are easier to set up in Linux than ATI cards in my experience .

>>Radeon 9200 128 MB SE seems ok for my needs and is only £36 from the shops.<<

u get better support for shaders with a gffx5200 (important ive youre into graphics programming) but if u just play games pick the quickest of the two

Of course, it really depends on what you need. The 9200 isn't anything special, but hey, it's cheap. The Geforce 5200 FX is about it's equal in performance (and price, I think), but has better shader support as zedzeek said.

However, if you can afford a few more bucks, get a Radeon 9600 of whatever flavor you can afford. Still cheap, but it's got proper DirectX 9 support with shaders and everything, and with much better performance as well.

But it really comes down to your needs. a 9200 might be more than you'll ever need, if you're not a big gamer.

Just DON'T buy a card with 64-bit bus, allways check for 128. Remember 9250 is worse than 9200, 9600PRO is worse than 9500PRO, so on. Learn before you buy.

well I ordered a Radeon 9600SE.
I couldn't find anywhere info on how 9600 is worse than 9500..
oh well,

I really think we need a hw section so we can post our reviews and tests on card/pc combos with various exisiting games--

card1 with Unreal Tournament runs at 20fps
card2 with Unreal Tournament runs at 80fps

etc

You just made a mistake.
http://www.epinions.com/content_135067635332/show_~allcom (last comment)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement