• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Shader assembler version syntax confusion

This topic is 4924 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, Maybe a silly question, but what is the difference between using for example vs_2_0 instead of vs.2.0 in the shader version statement? I thought, it would be the same, but somewhere I found, that vs_2_0 would be some "enhanced" version, while another book states, vs.2.0 is for DX8 use while vs_2_0 is for DX9 use. Are there really any differences, and if so, which? Thanks a lot, Herb

Advertisement
I *believe* what happened is that they just changed the 'correct' syntax in DX9. The actual result is the same, but you're "supposed" to use vs_2_0 if you're writing shaders under DX9, as opposed to vs.2.0 (which was officially 'correct' under DX8).

In short, don't worry about it too much; use vs_2_0 if you're using DirectX 9, and use vs.2.0 if you're using DirectX 8. I think there was a discussion about this on DXDEV a little while back, if you want more info.

Quote:
Original post by highvolt_herb
Hi,
Maybe a silly question, but what is the difference between using for example vs_2_0 instead of vs.2.0 in the shader version statement? I thought, it would be the same, but somewhere I found, that vs_2_0 would be some "enhanced" version, while another book states, vs.2.0 is for DX8 use while vs_2_0 is for DX9 use.
Are there really any differences, and if so, which?
Thanks a lot,
Herb

vs_2_0 is used because vs.2.0 is not a valid token due to the '.', this is problematic when using a Effects/HLSL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement