• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
paulecoyote

How do you write a boot-time utility for Windows 2k / XP?

This topic is 5013 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How do you write a boot-time utility for Windows 2k / XP? By this I mean tools like chkdisk, partition magic and some defragmentation tools – that appear in a console-style window before the logon screen, allowing them to move around system files and do things without the system having many locks on files. I’ve hunted around a bit and can’t find any guides, set of apis or anything open-source that would help. It would make great fodder for an article if anyone could see there way to writing one. Specifically I think it would be quite an interesting exercise (!) to be able to write a defragmenter that runs at this time. Really I would like to know how to write this kind of utility because I believe it would be a useful thing to know really! I thought I would post this here, because from what I know of you guys alot of you are business application developers by day and game developers by night. So with any luck one of you will know something :-)

Advertisement
Quote:
Specifically I think it would be quite an interesting exercise (!) to be able to write a defragmenter that runs at this time.
You need to be intimately familiar with the FAT filesystem (assuming that's what you use), and from there it's a matter of working with whatever low-level disk I/O that Windows provides. Documentation on NTFS is much less prolific or complete, so you're pretty much SOL. However, if you're interested in learning how a modern filesystem works, Ext3, ReiserFS, and XFS are all open source.

I also remember hearing somewhere that file fragmentation actually speeds up access on modern drives, because sometimes the fragments can be read in parallel.

Ah! That's what I needed - to know the right terminology. And you gave me a couple of specific links too. Rated you as high as I could, thanks!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!