• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mikeman

Ethernet?

This topic is 5107 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Sorry if this a dumb question, but I don't know much about internet. Anyway, I want to get what is called "Ethernet address". I used the "ipconfig -all" command but I get "00-53-45-00-00-00". The article which I followed said this is not valid and I must be sure I'm getting the local area settings. I don't really understand what this means, what I have to do to get a valid address?

Advertisement
The address you are getting is a MAC address. It is (supposed to be) unique. What you probably need, though, is the IP address. IP(v4) addresses aren't necessarily unique and a computer may have more than one. The one I'm using right now has 4 IP addresses:

127.0.0.1 (localhost -- I think this is true for any computer that is in an IP network)

192.168.0.2 (on my LAN)

10.0.0.156 (another LAN)

xxx.xxx.59.225 (Bluetooth)

To retrieve the IP addresses, take a look at articles like this one:

Get all IP numbers of your machine

it's probably important to note that if you run ipconfig when your machine is not connected to a network or the internet, you wont see an IP address but only an Ethernet address.

The Ethernet address is a creature of your personal networking equipment... the IP address is assigned to you by your ISP or network administrator

No, I need the Ethernet address which is a 12-digit number. The artice I'm talking about is this, and I run ipconfig when I'm connected to the internet. I really don't know anything about this. I read somewhere about an "ethernet card", is it possible that my system doesn't have that, or is it on all systems?

Disconnect your machine from the LAN and then run ipconfig -all. You may need to run ipconfig /renew first.

Guys, I'm totally lost here I must say.I have no idea what LAN is, or winsock or all that. All I know is that I have a modem and a dial-up connection. I disconnected however, run ipconfig and got nothing. Just a blank screen. I think it's just that I don't have an ethernet card, whatever that is.

If you dont have an Ethernet card then you wont have an Ethernet address, also known as a MAC address. If all you have is a dial up modem then the only valid address you have is an IP address.

I didnt look at the site you referenced but here is a quick overview of a LAN.

LAN = (L)ocal (A)rea (N)etwork

If you have an Ethernet LAN then all the computers on the network have Ethernet cards which are connected to routers or switches by Ethernet cable. The routers and switches can then be connected to other routers or switches or to the Internet. Ethernet comes in many speeds 10Mbit, 100Mbit, Gigabit etc. etc.

There is a lot more but that is the meat and potatos of it.

Ok, the Network Address and the MAC address is just different names for the same thing. MAC address is the more commonly used name and is the unique ID of your network card. Microsoft calls it "Physical Address" in their IPCONFIG app.

Looks like your ISP noticed you:

Quote:

Note: we have had a rash of registration requests for the following address: 00:53:45:00:00:00, this is not a valid adapter address, please be sure you are getting the local area connection and not the wide area connection.

Are you using a router or plugging directly into your DSL or Cable modem? If your using a router (Like the Linksys WRT54G), you need to get it's MAC address. Consult your guide book for it.

Do you have more than one network port? Make sure you are looking up the right one in the IPCONFIG.

Also, make sure you are getting the Physical address of the one that starts with "Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:"

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!