• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
smidge_tech

OpenGL Calculating frustum planes from arbitrary position/rotation [FIXED]

This topic is 5161 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I have a Viewer class, which represents some entity capable of seeing things within my program's world. I'm trying to add some functions to calculate and perform tests on a viewer's frustum. Each viewer has its own information like fov, near/far plane distance, and aspect ratio. I've almost got everything working the way I want it, however some weird things happen: * I've checked all the values, but the frustum appears pointing out of the viewer's back, rather than in front. * The shape of the frustum appears to change as the viewer rotates about the Y (up) axis. I'm using OpenGL, however I am working in a coordinate system where the positive direction of the Z axis points into the screen, rather than out. This might be messing up some of the transformations... I calculate the frustum planes as follows: * Define the frustum planes in camera space. * Use OpenGL to do some transformations to bring camera space to world space. * Extract the matrix, and premultiply the 4-dimensional frustum vectors by it. * Normalise. To render the frustum, I'm finding the corners of the frustum by testing the intersection of 3 of the frustum planes, e.g. to get the near-top-left corner, I find the coordinates of intersection of the near, top, and left frustum planes. Like I say, it nearly works! But not quite. Perhaps some frustum-gurus have some advice for me? I've examined the plane normals, and they are most definitely correct in all the cases I've tried. I think it might be the D values that are messing up. Here's the frustum-plane calculating code: Few things to note: * e is calculated as 1 / tan(fovX), where fovX is the horizontal fov. * aspect is 0.75, in most cases. * One of the rotation lines is rot[1] - 90 rather than rot[1] because of the way I want my angles to point. This works.
// Precalculate frustum planes, from the viewer's position and orientation.
void Viewer::updateFrustumPlanes()
{
	// In camera coordinate space, the planes are easy to specify.
	// They are stored in the order near, far, left, right, bottom, top.
	float f[6][4];
	vec4Set(f[0], 0, 0, 1, near);
	vec4Set(f[1], 0, 0, -1, -far);
	vec4Set(f[2], e, 0, 1, 0);
	vec4Set(f[3], -e, 0, 1, 0);
	vec4Set(f[4], 0, e, aspect, 0);
	vec4Set(f[5], 0, -e, aspect, 0);

// Now we must transform the planes from camera space to world space.
	glPushMatrix();
	glLoadIdentity();
	// Perform the transformations.
	glRotatef(rot[0],         1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f);
	glRotatef(rot[1] - 90.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f);
	glRotatef(rot[2],         0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f);
	glTranslatef(-pos[0], -pos[1], -pos[2]);
	// Store the current matrix.
	float m[16];
	glGetFloatv(GL_MODELVIEW_MATRIX, m);
	glPopMatrix();

// Treating each plane as a 4-dimensional vector, transform each one by
	// the matrix we just saved to get the planes' coordinates in world space.
	for (int i = 0; i < 6; ++i)
	{
		frustum[0] =
			m[0] * f[0] + m[1] * f[1] + m[2] * f[2] + m[3] * f[3];
		frustum[1] =
			m[4] * f[0] + m[5] * f[1] + m[6] * f[2] + m[7] * f[3];
		frustum[2] =
			m[8] * f[0] + m[9] * f[1] + m[10] * f[2] + m[11] * f[3];
		frustum[3] =
			m[12] * f[0] + m[13] * f[1] + m[14] * f[2] + m[15] * f[3];
	}

// Normalise the vectors.
	for (int i = 0; i < 6; ++i)
		vec3Normalise(frustum);
}

Oh, I also posted this to flipcode too. Hope that kind of cross-posting doesn't offend anybody :). [Edited by - smidge on October 25, 2004 11:16:41 AM]

Advertisement
Ok, I'm lazy so I didn't read the whole message, from the topic I think you want that : http://www2.ravensoft.com/users/ggribb/plane%20extraction.pdf

Extracting View Frustum Planes from the Camera matrix.

Quote:
Original post by Ingenu
Ok, I'm lazy so I didn't read the whole message, from the topic I think you want that : http://www2.ravensoft.com/users/ggribb/plane%20extraction.pdf

Extracting View Frustum Planes from the Camera matrix.

Yes, that's not quite what I'm after - that article deals with extracting frustum planes from the existing projection matrix; however, I'm working with arbitrary camera coordinates and orientation, and don't want to have to alter the projection matrix each time I calculate something.

But not to worry, I fixed it the problem:

This:

vec4Set(f[0], 0, 0, 1, near);
vec4Set(f[1], 0, 0, -1, -far);

.. should have been this:

vec4Set(f[0], 0, 0, 1, -near);
vec4Set(f[1], 0, 0, -1, far);

(silly mistake)

And the problem with the frustum changing shape, I noticed, made the d values of the top and bottom plane scale incorrectly with the other d values (in fact, they scaled at a ratio the same as the aspect ratio).

Normalising the f plane normals before transforming fixed that. All working nicely now.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!