Inspirations for names of characters/worlds/factions

Started by
1 comment, last by TriplexVirus 19 years, 5 months ago
I'm having a lot of trouble coming up with some names for the forces in a game I'm designing. I want something new for each side. Menacing for the enemy military force, and something official for the force you fight for. Think planetside, New Conglomerate, Vanu Soveignity, Terran Republic. Or red faction, ultor, and the actual red faction. I like all these names, but I want original names. Even some clever word that doesnt even exist would do. Where should I look for inspiration for original material?
Advertisement
Look at real languages (and made-up ones)--start with www.omniglot.com. It'll give you scripts and lists of sounds along with the names of languages. It includes everything from Oriya to Tengwar; I haven't heard of a writing system that it doesn't have listed (except for a few recent creations).

Anyway. Omniglot, then searches on languages you think are appropriate. Might I recommend Gothic, Old Church Slavonic, and Albanian as inspirations for the opposition, whilst using Marathi, Ladino, Maltese, Kannada, or Hungarian for the good guys? (Yes, I have a bias toward Semitic / Dravidian languages.)
thanks, I'll check it out!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement