The still-unnamed RPG project (Update: Linux binary)

Started by
34 comments, last by tentoid 19 years, 3 months ago
Quote:Original post by mrhollow
Quote:
I'm not quite sure about the forrest south of the first town. It's a bit pointless except for the mushrooms (which can be collected and then given to the shaman in exchange for potions). The only interesting thing is that it's randomly generated.

The random generation is cool, but it seems incongruous with the style of the other two maps. Maybe if it were how you travel from city to city -- though I personally don't care for that style of travel... I prefer walking through the environment directly...

Yes, the random map doesn't quite fit in the game. I did that quite early in the development (testing the possibilities of the scripting system). I originally planned it to be a "wilderness map" where you would travel to other town but now I don't think it will be a good idea. I might remove it in the next version or perhaps modify it to resemble the other maps more.

Perhaps I will do a random dungeon instead. Maybe some sort of magical maze or something.. It could be more interesting than a random wilderness map.
Quote:
Quote:
A lot of people has said that the game reminds of Exile! I think I will have to play it someday. And as for the doors, I'm thinking of adding some sort of prompt when hitting a door, such as "Do you want to open this door?".

I like being able to control opening (and closing) of doors, especially in the dungeons where you hear people behind doors and such, I think it would be annoying to be prompted each time I got near a door whether or not I want to open it... I would however like to have the exit, open and close dialogs all combined. Like perhaps when you are on an exit and you hit "enter" you exit (With no question) when you are anywhere else and you hit enter, you get prompted which direction you would like to open a door, and if the direction you indicate is an open door, it gets closed. Of course, just my opinion.

I was thinking more along if you try to walk to a square which has a closed door it will prompt the user does (s)he wish to open it (usually, yes). I am not quite sure about combining all three the exit, open and close commands. A single open/close door command would be nice. Maybe there should be a config option to remove the exit prompts.

Quote:
Quote:
Oh and one more thing. Does anyone have good suggestion for the name? I'll try to register the project to sourceforge when I have a proper name (and perhaps the source cleaned up a bit).

Hmmm.... I dunno. I'm not good with names... :)

Neither am I! Hmm, guess I'll have to do a list of possible names for the game some day and post it here :)
Ad: Ancamnia
Advertisement
Alright. Here's a new post after a while..

I finally had time and motivation to continue working on my game. I think I've done about 50% of the second town in the game. That sums up being probably about 5-15% of the finished game. I've been doing a bit more complicated quests (scripting wise) but they're quite short. Well, atleast there's some progress. :)

I just noticed that I had invented a name for the land of the game while writing up some dialogue trees half-asleep.. [wink] Ancamnia. Now I could easily derive a name for the game from that. Perhaps "Tales of Ancamnia" or something other equally clichéd.

How does the name sound to you? I think it reminds a bit too much of Arcanum etc. Comments and suggestion are welcome!
Quote:Original post by tentoid
Alright. Here's a new post after a while..

I finally had time and motivation to continue working on my game. I think I've done about 50% of the second town in the game. That sums up being probably about 5-15% of the finished game. I've been doing a bit more complicated quests (scripting wise) but they're quite short. Well, atleast there's some progress. :)

I just noticed that I had invented a name for the land of the game while writing up some dialogue trees half-asleep.. [wink] Ancamnia. Now I could easily derive a name for the game from that. Perhaps "Tales of Ancamnia" or something other equally clichéd.

How does the name sound to you? I think it reminds a bit too much of Arcanum etc. Comments and suggestion are welcome!

Nah, it doesn't sound like Arcanum to me... I couldn't come up with a name until I was almost done, and I changed the working title three or four times. Finally I decided that it needed to be easy to read and say, and it had to be unique so that I could find it with google searches ;P May be silly criteria, but that's what I decided...

Anyway, can't wait to see the updates, I check this thread regularly hoping you've posted something new.

Cheers,
Aaron
Quote:Original post by mrhollow
Nah, it doesn't sound like Arcanum to me... I couldn't come up with a name until I was almost done, and I changed the working title three or four times. Finally I decided that it needed to be easy to read and say, and it had to be unique so that I could find it with google searches ;P May be silly criteria, but that's what I decided...

Anyway, can't wait to see the updates, I check this thread regularly hoping you've posted something new.

Cheers,
Aaron

I did some google searches for the name and it didn't yield much results. Only some czech web sites showed up. I just filled out the registration form to host the game on Sourceforge. I will try to publish a new version with source code and all soon.

I really don't have too many new features (mostly a bit more content) but if you're interested I could upload a new version. Here's the changelog (not much I know):

09.12+ New short "quest": Peasant & wolf+ You can use negation in condition="" clauses5.12:+ New enemies: Wolf, skeleton+ New items: wolf pelts, bones20.11:+ Reorganized #includes (in an attempt to clarify the code)+ Now you can use available="!CheckSomething" (CheckSomething not true) in Player conversation nodes+ Game no longer crashes on invalid conversation event/availibility functions.. just keeps on going.+ Some more work on Eke dialogues19.11:+ Some work on Eke dialogues06.11:+ Item weight+ Added a pickup dialog which is shown if there are multiple items on one square
Alrighty here's a small update on the project. I registered the project to sourceforge.net. Here's the website.

I'll try to release a new test version by the end of this week. First, I gotta learn how to make Makefiles and check if there are any bigger bugs.
EDIT: I take that back. There's a weird bug in there and the game crashes.. Sigh. I'll try to fix it ASAP.

EDIT2: Alright. It should work now. (No one hasn't downloaded the game yet so there shouldn't be any problems..)

EDIT3: A new thread is here.

Behold! I uploaded the 0.1 release of Tales of Ancamnia. I will upload a win32 binary version soon (tommorow perhaps). You need scons (http://www.scons.org) to build it (makefiles are too complicated..). You need to set the lua library paths etc. in the SConstruct file before building (if it doesn't work).

I would appreciate any feedback. :)

[Edited by - tentoid on December 30, 2004 10:39:18 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement