Is DarkBASIC Pro The Best Current Software To Create A Hockey Video Game?

Started by
91 comments, last by superpig 19 years, 5 months ago
Quote:Original post by ranakor
Quote:Original post by aegrimonia
Did they just come out with DarkBASIC 1337 edition with a 'create best hockey game ever' button built right into it?

I think it has some checkboxes that pop right up:

_ Better then EA Sports
_ Better then all hockey games.
_ Better Graphics
_ More features
_ Smoother Gameplay

You just click those boxes, and voila.. all done!

i hear there's a plugin that tests your game auto generates content for it & then auto mails it to publishers & self publish it if it doens't get any mail back for 24 hour with auto price adjusting depending on demand too & all that for only 9.99!

I think it's also important to mention the auto-licensing feature, that automatically writes contracts to each player in the NHL, and sends itself to every player's agent.
Advertisement
You guys got punched in the face by vipejc.

This guy can't be for real.
Quote:Original post by doogle

He's either playing around or just harvesting e-mail addresses (THERE I SAID IT!!!). Why not humor him for a while?
Quote:Original post by doogle

[04:01] <Promit> hey look, he's using AOL[04:01]  * Ainokea laughs so hard his rib cracked[04:01] <Promit> how about that[04:01] <Ainokea> oh shit[04:01] [Drevay] i think we'll just add him to our ignore lists[04:01] <Ainokea> I think it might have[04:01] <Promit> i'm not kidding[04:01] [Drevay] in a bit, i'm enjoying this[04:01] <Promit> he's really using AOL[04:01] <Ainokea> My sides hurt[04:01] [Drevay] omg[04:02] [Drevay] is he really using AOL?[04:02] *** Aqua (mikeschuld@69.144.81.241) has joined #gamedev[04:02] <Promit> do a whois on him[04:02]  * Drevay whois's vipejc[04:02] *** vipejc is Guest6788@ACACB64D.ipt.aol.com (GameDev.net User)[04:02] *** vipejc is on channels: #gamedev[04:02] *** vipejc is on server *.afternet.org (Afternet IRC Network)[04:02] <Promit> he's using AOL

AOL punched doogle in the face today.
Quote:Original post by vipejc
If DarkBASIC Pro is a professional video game making program. Then is it true that it is incapable of making a EA Sports or ESPN quality hockey game?
ANY programming language has the ability to do that. It's based ENTIRLY upon your programming skills. If you can't program, your game will just, plain, suck.
hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- the fear of big words
You should license my game engine for $50 (USA). Email me - humilialtor0 at yahoo dot com if you're interested.
___________________________________________________________Where to find the intensity (Updated Dec 28, 2004)Member of UBAAG (Unban aftermath Association of Gamedev)
The weird way he makes sentences. Makes me really believe that he is a troll. It's just too. Typical.

Or maybe he's just an idiot?
He sure is annoying with his 15,000 ideas though...
Quote:Original post by vipejc
If DarkBASIC Pro is a professional video game making program...
It isn't. That's just marketing hype.

Dark BASIC Pro is a nice prototyping environment, but it lacks the third-party and other support necessary to create AAA titles.

By the way, I am working on a hockey game, thanks to you (I'll publish the source and tools when I'm done). And I don't even play hockey! [Edit: Addendum - I don't even like hockey!] I started it the other night so I could show you some of what goes into making a game, and help you decide on a realistic approach to making your dream a reality. For instance, I'm abstracting a lot of the infrastructure of the game for reuse in a football (soccer) and tennis game, respectively. I'm calling that Generation 1. After that, I'll move to a hybrid 3D implementation to be called Generation 2, and then a full-blown 3D environment which I will call Generation 3D.

If you weren't so quick to dismiss everyone who disagrees with you (despite the fact that they know more about making games than you do), you could probably learn enough to have an honest shot at making this game. Until that changes, however, you'll continue flitting from one "RAD" tool to another, with no actual results.

It's all rather tragic, actually.
vipejc:

OK, you want to make super hockey game. I'll run down the ways of doing this:

- Get enough money together to hire people to do it. Just bare in mind that you'd need a lot of money.

- Spend 4-6 years learning how to program and writing some practice simple games. Program the hocky game and somehow get artists to help you out (may require funding). Programming a really great game like this would take at least 1-2 years, probably full time. Create something awesome, take it to publishers and hopefully get it sold.

Naturally, what isn't going to happen is you getting help from profesionals (or the semi-pros and enthusiasts you find here) without paying them plenty of money.

As far as software goes. DarkBASIC will let you make a relitivly small, crappy hocky game with very little effort.

To actually make your dream game, you should probably use C++. Just remember though - that it will probably take at least 4-6 years to learn, and another 1-2 years to actually make your game.
Do you recommend I purchase the DarkBASIC Pro software, and DarkBASIC Beginners Programming Guide? And if not then what are the best program and how to book to buy?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement