• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vipejc

Is DarkBASIC Pro The Best Current Software To Create A Hockey Video Game?

92 posts in this topic

Ok, there is one major difference between you and most of the members of this site. You see, we all have 15,000 ideas for a variety of things. I have earth-shattering ideas for adventure games, RPGs, FPSs, and sport games that would honestly receive perfect 10's and sell 50 billion units worldwide. However, I am a programmer (and you are not). This means I know how to implement my ideas into a product (and you do not). I also realize that my ideas are a huge undertaking (and you do not). You probably won't see me posting on these forums about "OMFG!!!11one!! HOW DO I PROGRAM THEsE SWEEEET RPGs??" Instead, I try to ask more focused questions, in the process of trying to bring my ideas to a completed product.

So I recommend you take your 15,000 ideas and put them in a drawer. Buy a copy of one of those "Teach yourself C++ in 5 minutes" books, and take your time and read it (once you are done, read it again). I've been programming in C++ for 5-6 years, and I won't dare call myself an expert in it. People on this forum teach me something new every day (well, almost). However, if I wanted to write a tetris clone, I could in a decent amount of time.

I wish you good luck.

*edit: I type faster than I think :)

Quote:
Original post by vipejc
Twix, thats ok I don't pay their type any mind.

I like your style. Be sure to give us an update if someone ever actually agrees to make this game for you, since it seems we have a lot of unbelievers here. [wink]

Twix, thanks for the compliment. But I highly doubt anyone will ever agree to carry out my idea. So I will have to do it myself.

Well in that case, you'd better learn C++. It's the game industry's pet language, so there are a lot more resources for it than for anything else. Enjoy!

You have no experiance, there is a reason it takes 40 people with years of experiance at least 6 months to make hockey games like ESPN2k5, this is like a bavy trying to paint the Mona Lisa!

If DarkBASIC Pro is a professional video game making program. Then is it true that it is incapable of making a EA Sports or ESPN quality hockey game?

Quote:
Original post by vipejc
If DarkBASIC Pro is a professional video game making program. Then is it true that it is incapable of making a EA Sports or ESPN quality hockey game?

No, I just meant that it's never been done. But in any case, I'm going to have to tell you this right now -- you are not going to be able to make a game worthy of EA Sports. It's just not possible for one person, no matter what programs you use. Scale down your ambitions (or somehow conscript a large team of programmers and artists), and your project will end happier.

Did they just come out with DarkBASIC 1337 edition with a 'create best hockey game ever' button built right into it?

I think it has some checkboxes that pop right up:

_ Better then EA Sports
_ Better then all hockey games.
_ Better Graphics
_ More features
_ Smoother Gameplay

You just click those boxes, and voila.. all done!

Quote:
Original post by aegrimonia
Did they just come out with DarkBASIC 1337 edition with a 'create best hockey game ever' button built right into it?

_ Better then EA Sports
_ Better Graphics
_ More features
_ Smoother Gameplay

i hear there's a plugin that tests your game auto generates content for it & then auto mails it to publishers & self publish it if it doens't get any mail back for 24 hour with auto price adjusting depending on demand too & all that for only 9.99!

Quote:
Original post by ranakor
Quote:

_ Better then EA Sports
_ Better Graphics
_ More features
_ Smoother Gameplay

i hear there's a plugin that tests your game auto generates content for it & then auto mails it to publishers & self publish it if it doens't get any mail back for 24 hour with auto price adjusting depending on demand too & all that for only 9.99!

Oh it gets better! I hear GNU is making their own version of the program, because RMS is just such a big fan of it and all. "I seriously took one look at it and thought, 'Hey, we can't live without this!'"

Quote:
Original post by ranakor
Quote:

_ Better then EA Sports
_ Better Graphics
_ More features
_ Smoother Gameplay

I think it's also important to mention the auto-licensing feature, that automatically writes contracts to each player in the NHL, and sends itself to every player's agent.

Quote:
Original post by doogle
You guys got punched in the face by vipejc.

This guy can't be for real.

He's either playing around or just harvesting e-mail addresses (THERE I SAID IT!!!). Why not humor him for a while?

Quote:
Original post by doogle
You guys got punched in the face by vipejc.

This guy can't be for real.

[04:01] <Promit> hey look, he's using AOL
[04:01] * Ainokea laughs so hard his rib cracked
[04:01] <Promit> how about that
[04:01] <Ainokea> oh shit
[04:01] [Drevay] i think we'll just add him to our ignore lists
[04:01] <Ainokea> I think it might have
[04:01] <Promit> i'm not kidding
[04:01] [Drevay] in a bit, i'm enjoying this
[04:01] <Promit> he's really using AOL
[04:01] <Ainokea> My sides hurt
[04:01] [Drevay] omg
[04:02] [Drevay] is he really using AOL?
[04:02] *** Aqua (mikeschuld@69.144.81.241) has joined #gamedev
[04:02] <Promit> do a whois on him
[04:02] * Drevay whois's vipejc
[04:02] *** vipejc is Guest6788@ACACB64D.ipt.aol.com (GameDev.net User)
[04:02] *** vipejc is on channels: #gamedev
[04:02] *** vipejc is on server *.afternet.org (Afternet IRC Network)
[04:02] <Promit> he's using AOL

AOL punched doogle in the face today.

Quote:
Original post by vipejc
ANY programming language has the ability to do that. It's based ENTIRLY upon your programming skills. If you can't program, your game will just, plain, suck.

You should license my game engine for $50 (USA). Email me - humilialtor0 at yahoo dot com if you're interested.

The weird way he makes sentences. Makes me really believe that he is a troll. It's just too. Typical.

Or maybe he's just an idiot?
He sure is annoying with his 15,000 ideas though...

Quote:
Original post by vipejc
If DarkBASIC Pro is a professional video game making program...
It isn't. That's just marketing hype.

Dark BASIC Pro is a nice prototyping environment, but it lacks the third-party and other support necessary to create AAA titles.

By the way, I am working on a hockey game, thanks to you (I'll publish the source and tools when I'm done). And I don't even play hockey! [Edit: Addendum - I don't even like hockey!] I started it the other night so I could show you some of what goes into making a game, and help you decide on a realistic approach to making your dream a reality. For instance, I'm abstracting a lot of the infrastructure of the game for reuse in a football (soccer) and tennis game, respectively. I'm calling that Generation 1. After that, I'll move to a hybrid 3D implementation to be called Generation 2, and then a full-blown 3D environment which I will call Generation 3D.

If you weren't so quick to dismiss everyone who disagrees with you (despite the fact that they know more about making games than you do), you could probably learn enough to have an honest shot at making this game. Until that changes, however, you'll continue flitting from one "RAD" tool to another, with no actual results.

It's all rather tragic, actually.

vipejc:

OK, you want to make super hockey game. I'll run down the ways of doing this:

- Get enough money together to hire people to do it. Just bare in mind that you'd need a lot of money.

- Spend 4-6 years learning how to program and writing some practice simple games. Program the hocky game and somehow get artists to help you out (may require funding). Programming a really great game like this would take at least 1-2 years, probably full time. Create something awesome, take it to publishers and hopefully get it sold.

Naturally, what isn't going to happen is you getting help from profesionals (or the semi-pros and enthusiasts you find here) without paying them plenty of money.

As far as software goes. DarkBASIC will let you make a relitivly small, crappy hocky game with very little effort.

To actually make your dream game, you should probably use C++. Just remember though - that it will probably take at least 4-6 years to learn, and another 1-2 years to actually make your game.

Do you recommend I purchase the DarkBASIC Pro software, and DarkBASIC Beginners Programming Guide? And if not then what are the best program and how to book to buy?

Quote:
Original post by Orbviper
I'd definitely recommend reading this book. It should help get you started.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

OMG nice find! rofl :)

Quote:
Original post by Saruman
OMG nice find! rofl :)

Actually, I made it myself. I've also got one ready for any potential MMORPG developer wannabes... [grin]

Quote:
Original post by Orbviper
Actually, I made it myself. I've also got one ready for any potential MMORPG developer wannabes... [grin]
Yuo made teh funnay? OMG ROFLICIOUS!

Quote:
Original post by vipejc
Twix, thats ok I don't pay their type any mind.

That will be a problem then, because everyone you've been speaking to are programmers who make games. You will find it difficult to create games without programmers.