Multitexturing with 1 texture unit

Started by
13 comments, last by Brother Bob 19 years, 5 months ago
Is it possible to multi-texture with 1 texture unit? All I want to do is blend the bound texture with whatever is in the frame buffer. code...... glActiveTextureARB(GL_TEXTURE0_ARB); glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D); glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, nTexID); glTexEnvi(GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL_TEXTURE_ENV_MODE, GL_COMBINE); glTexEnvi(GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL_COMBINE_RGB, GL_MODULATE); glTexEnvi(GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL_SOURCE0_RGB, GL_TEXTURE); glTexEnvi(GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL_SOURCE1_RGB, GL_PREVIOUS); glTexEnvi(GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL_OPERAND0_RGB, GL_SRC_COLOR); glTexEnvi(GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL_OPERAND1_RGB, GL_SRC_COLOR); // glvertex,gltexcoord's here ... ... But it doesn't seem to do anything. I'm thinking you have to be using at least 2 texture units for anything to happen? But all I want to do is blend/modulate with frame buffer :( BTW, this works... glBlendFunc(GL_DST_COLOR, GL_SRC_COLOR); But I cannot use that because I need to use.. glBlendFunc(GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA); ... Because I want alpha blending as well. So I guess what I'm asking is how do i acheive the same results as glBlendFunc(GL_DST_COLOR, GL_SRC_COLOR) but with multi-texturing....
Advertisement
>>Is it possible to multi-texture with 1 texture unit?<<

yes

>>All I want to do is blend the bound texture with whatever is in the frame buffer.<<

then u want to have blending enabled as well, multitexture does NOT blend with whats in the framebuffer, it just writes all over it unless blending is enabled
I do have blending enabled so that I can use GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA to do transparency blending with alpha from the vertex color..

But then I'm using GL_MODULATE for texture unit one (using GL_TEXTURE and GL_PREVIOUS (framebuffer)) to try and "combine" my texture and the frame buffer. GL_MODULATE doesn't seem to do anything (code posted above)... I'm trying to achieve the same effects as glBlendFunc(GL_DST_COLOR, GL_SRC_COLOR) , but I'm not sure what I should be using. I thought modulate would do it, since all I really want is for the pixel in the frame buffer to be multiplied against the color in the texture.. Should I be using interpolate??
Quote:Original post by DaN1maL
But then I'm using GL_MODULATE for texture unit one (using GL_TEXTURE and GL_PREVIOUS (framebuffer)) to try and "combine" my texture and the frame buffer.

GL_PREVIOUS is the result from the previous texture combiner, not the content of the frame buffer. The frame buffer is accessable only from the blending state (in fixed function pipe at least). You cannot access the frame buffer in the texture combiners. What your code does is multiplying the texture color with the primary color, i.e. the color set by glColor.
In the opengl doc it said that GL_PREVIOUS is the same as GL_PRIMARY_COLOR for the first texture stage. And GL_PRIMARY_COLOR is supposed to be the "incomming fragment prior to the first stage", which I thought would be the frame buffer. GL_CONSTANT_COLOR is supposed to use whatever was set with glColor .. right?
no, fragment is what u get from gl_lighting or gl_color, its not whats already in the framebuffer.

eg say u have a line (triangle whatever)
glColor
(1,0,0)---------(1,1,0)

and GL_SMOOTH is enabled (not GL_FLAT) then the fragemnt at the left is (1,0,0) in the middle (1,0.5,0) and right (1,1,0)
GL_PRIMARY_COLOR is what zedzeek described; basically the color from the lighting equation or the color set by glColor.

GL_CONSTANT_COLOR is a per-texture combiner constant color, which remains constant untill you change it (the primary can change from fragment to fragment as the color is interpolated over the primitive). You set the constant color with glTexEnvfv(GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL_TEXTURE_ENV_COLOR, <pointer to RGBA color>).
Makes sense. One more question... Is it possible to set two blend funcs at the same time?

I want to basically do this...

glEnable(GL_BLEND);
glBlendFunc(GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA);
glBlendFunc(GL_DST_COLOR, GL_SRC_COLOR);

// draw here

glDisable(GL_BLEND);

You'd think you'd be able to set a color, and an alpha operation. But it doesn't seem to be the case. I swear I could do it in DirectX, but I'm having no luck with OpenGL.
void glBlendEquationSeparate( enum modeRGB,enum modeAlpha );

part of opengl 1.4
I noticed there is a glBlendFuncSeparate function, would I want to use that instead?

I tried this:

glBlendFuncSeparate(GL_DST_COLOR, GL_SRC_COLOR, GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA);

.. But it seemed to only use the first two params I pass in :(

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement