Sign in to follow this  
silvermace

Scene Graphs and Rendering Them

silvermace    634
Karate Chop *POW* ok, so i've been trying to get something on paper in terms of design for an engine i'm planning on building. i was wondering, is it a good idea to do actual rendering when a scene node's render function is called? what i mean is do i actually execute the API commands? what i am used to doing is when a render function is called i add the scene node's mesh data, vertbuffers etc. and all its info, such as materialID(shader), transform matrix etc etc to what i like to call a Render-Graph (RG), then once the RG is formed i do a one-time scene flush where the actual low-level rendering commands are called. the advantage of this is it seperates the scene-graph from the rendering and it also alows for a well sorted RG (node insertion into the RG is sorted, this sorting is controled by zbuffer state and shader/texture id) is this a good idea??? something inside me _really_ wants to do this, but will it be too slow? also, im having a little trouble trying to figure out where to draw the line in terms of where to stop with scene-node granulity. eg. do i want this:
Root
  |
  +---- Player: ISceneNode
           |
           +--- Gun: ISceneNode
           |     |
           |     +--- Mesh: ISceneNode
           |     |
           |     +--- MuzzleFlash: ISceneNode
           |                |
           |                +--- Mesh: ISceneNode
           |
           +--- Model: ISceneNode
                       |
                       +--- Mesh: ISceneNode
do i want everything that works with the engines internals to be a scene node or do i want the Meshs to be members of the Player entity, rather than actual Scene Nodes? eg.
Root
  |
           |
           |     |
           |     +--- MuzzleFlash: ISceneNode        
           |

Cheers -Danushka PS. Malcolm, feel free to jump in if you see this one

snk_kid    1312
Quote:
Original post by silvermace
i was wondering, is it a good idea to do actual rendering when a scene node's render function is called? what i mean is do i actually execute the API commands?

I would say no, a scene graph is a little inefficent for direct rendering as it is, you'll most likely wont to iterate the scene graph/s in a couple of passes, on the way down frustum culling, concatenation of transforms, grouping & sorting render state, on the way back up updating bounds.

Quote:
what i am used to doing is when a render function is called
i add the scene node's mesh data, vertbuffers etc. and all its info, such as materialID(shader), transform matrix etc etc to what i like to call a Render-Graph (RG), then once the RG is formed i do a one-time scene flush where the actual low-level rendering commands are called. the advantage of this is it seperates the scene-graph from the rendering and it also alows for a well sorted RG (node insertion into the RG is sorted, this sorting is controled by zbuffer state and shader/texture id)

is this a good idea??? something inside me _really_ wants to do this, but will it be too slow?

hmm.. this sounds fimillar, did you get the idea from this? i don't know of anyone doing this except i think java3d does for its internal representation but as you may or may not know java3d is more general graphics api than a graphics engine for a game.

Quote:
also, im having a little trouble trying to figure out where to draw the line in terms of where to stop with scene-node granulity.

eg. do i want this:

Root
|
|
| |
| +--- Mesh: ISceneNode
| |
| +--- MuzzleFlash: ISceneNode
| |
| +--- Mesh: ISceneNode
|
|
+--- Mesh: ISceneNode

just a slight change:

class hierarchy:

Bounds
|
BoundingSphere <- - +
|
| //<------ Aggregation, has-a (this gives a sort of BVH)
SceneNode - - - - +
| | ^
| | |
| | | //<---- Association, associates with self (parent pointer)
| +--+
|
+---- Group //<----- all groups are composites (they are containers of scene nodes and are scene nodes at the same time)
| |
| +---- Switch
| |
| +---- Transform
| |
| +---- LOD
|
+----- leaf
|
+---- Geo //<-- not alway the case but most commonly done

italics are abstract types
bolds are concrete types.

The above is typically known as a composite design pattern, well an instance of a composite pattern that is.

Your scene graph instance slighty adjusted.

Player: Group node (Group is-a ISceneNode)
|
+--- Gun: Group
| |
| +--- Mesh: Leaf node (Leaf is-a ISceneNode)
| |
| +--- MuzzleFlash: Group
| |
| +--- Mesh: Leaf
|
+--- Model: Group
|
+--- Mesh: Leaf

Quote:
do i want the Meshs to be members of the Player entity, rather than actual Scene Nodes? e.g.

I'm not sure what you mean, but if i understood correctly, then you can do either where the latter is most commonly done.

[Edited by - snk_kid on November 8, 2004 3:53:46 AM]

Kibble    504
Quote:
Original post by snk_kid
Quote:
what i am used to doing is when a render function is called
i add the scene node's mesh data, vertbuffers etc. and all its info, such as materialID(shader), transform matrix etc etc to what i like to call a Render-Graph (RG), then once the RG is formed i do a one-time scene flush where the actual low-level rendering commands are called. the advantage of this is it seperates the scene-graph from the rendering and it also alows for a well sorted RG (node insertion into the RG is sorted, this sorting is controled by zbuffer state and shader/texture id)

is this a good idea??? something inside me _really_ wants to do this, but will it be too slow?

hmm.. this sounds fimillar, did you get the idea from this? i don't know of anyone doing this except i think java3d does for its internal representation but as you may or may not know java3d is more general graphics api than a graphics engine for a game.

It isn't an uncommon idea, sounds similar to something I eventually crapped out after trying some other stuff in the game I'm writing.