• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Jiia

Incrementing Preprocessor Defines

This topic is 5093 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Aye [grin] I'm looking for a way to convert this:
// I want to change this..

#define CHANIM_CHANGEMAIN	0x00000001
#define CHANIM_CHANGESUB	0x00000002
#define CHANIM_MAINENDED	0x00000004
#define CHANIM_SUBENDED	0x00000008
#define CHANIM_SUBBYMAIN	0x00000010
#define CHANIM_NOCOMMAND	0x00000020

// .. into something like this..

DEFINE_FLAGS_START
	DEFINE_FLAG( CHANIM_CHANGEMAIN )
	DEFINE_FLAG( CHANIM_CHANGESUB )
	DEFINE_FLAG( CHANIM_MAINENDED )
	DEFINE_FLAG( CHANIM_SUBENDED )
	DEFINE_FLAG( CHANIM_SUBBYMAIN )
	DEFINE_FLAG( CHANIM_NOCOMMAND )
DEFINE_FLAGS_END

The __COUNTER__ define in VS.net looks promising, but I can't seem to find any manner in which to start it at a certain value (ie, 1). Is this possible? Or is there another way I can hack this? My purpose is to remove the need to update the hex digits as I remove and add values in the middle of the flag defines. It's not important, but would be very helpful. Thanks for any suggestions [smile]

Advertisement
You can make it slightly easier by doing this:

enum Whatever
{
W_foo = 1 << 0,
W_foo1 = 1 << 1,
W_foo2 = 1 << 2,
W_foo3 = 1 << 3,
W_foo4 = 1 << 4,
W_bar = 1 << 5,
};

I find it a little bit easier that way.

edit: durrrr quote != code

Hehe, yeah. That's how I planned to use the __COUNTER__ define, if it would work like I want it to. If I could reset it [smile]

What about something like this:

#define DEFINE_FLAGS_START(prefix) static const int prefix##_FIRST = __COUNTER__ + 1

#define DEFINE_FLAG(prefix, name) static const int prefix ## _ ## name = 1 << (__COUNTER__ - prefix##_FIRST)

DEFINE_FLAGS_START(CHANIM);
DEFINE_FLAG(CHANIM, CHANGEMAIN);
DEFINE_FLAG(CHANIM, CHANGESUB);
DEFINE_FLAG(CHANIM, MAINENDED);
DEFINE_FLAG(CHANIM, SUBENDED);
DEFINE_FLAG(CHANIM, SUBBYMAIN);
DEFINE_FLAG(CHANIM, NOCOMMAND);

Of course, it's ugly and relies on the fact that you have them grouped together, but it should work.

I would recommend you just write the numbers out yourself though.

Actually, I had not thought of simply keeping track of where it starts and subtracting that amount. That's a great idea.

Like I said, it's not a big deal. I was simply using normal enums as flag indices and had a BITLFAG(_d_) (1<<_d_) type define to convert. Pretty sure it would all be done at pre-processing time. But using BITFLAG everywhere is more trouble than using hex digits [smile]

Oh well, let me know if anyone thinks of an elegant way to take the work out of this [wink]

Edit: nevermind, I just suggested exactly what you're already doing, without paying attention. I suggest you stick with it :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!